Chapter 4: Lonely Fragrance

"Arya, the person who let you down was me. There's no need for you to target Victoria like this. If it makes you feel better, I'm willing to compensate you."

Ethan was hostile as he hugged the tearfully weeping Victoria into his arms and stared coldly at Arya.

Arya looked up slightly. As she watched Ethan's familiar yet strange handsome face, there was an instance when she felt a slight sorrow and a bunch of repressed emotions, especially when she saw the indifference and disappointment in his eyes.

She laughed bitterly to herself, yet that unyielding spirit and pride inside of her did not allow her to show any sign of weakness or pettiness, so she firmly met with his eyes and said calmly with not a single of warmth in her tone,

"Compensate? How do you plan to compensate? Apologize to me, beg for my forgiveness, and sincerely wish that you two live a long and happy life together?"

A faint sneer flashed across Arya's bright and exquisite face.

"Or like what you did back then — toss me a huge cheque?"

When she said this, Ethan's expression suddenly changed and he did not know what to say.

"Sis, Ethan was just hoping that you'd live better... We..."

Seeing Ethan rendered speechless, Victoria could only sniff and wriggle out of his embrace. She wanted to grab Arya's arm again, but her sister did not appreciate the kindness and smacked her hand away.

Victoria could not help but cry out with restraint again. Ethan was about walk up when a figure in burgundy had beat him to it and held Victoria steady. At the same time, her hand pushed her hard.

Bam!

Arya only felt her waist being shoved with force. Caught off-guard, she fell hard against the sink behind her. All she felt was a slight chill before her arm was suddenly electrified with pain too...

"Arya, even if you're resentful towards Victoria for whatever reason, you can just come to me. Why do you have to hurt her like this? Can't you see that her leg's already hurt? You're beyond cruel!"

Layla's worried and disappointed voice came through as she protected Victoria in her arms. Her gaze towards Arya plainly showed anguish.

"I know that you've resented me for replacing your mother, but ask yourself if all these years, have I, Layla, ever treated you unfairly?"

"Mother, don't be angry, Sister's already upset enough. Don't provoke her anymore. I'm fine. I just sprained my ankle a little!"

Victoria was worried as she stopped Layla's wound-up fury. She was afraid that she would make everything worse.

"Victoria, Mother knows that you feel bad for her, but look at her! She's not even appreciative of your kindness, so why do you want to torture yourself?" Layla glanced lamentably at Victoria, then she looked sorrowfully at her swelling ankle.

"Look at your leg. It's already swelling. Let me have a look at it."

"Mother, I... It really hurts..."

Victoria moved her leg a little. When a piercing pain attacked again, she could not help but cry out loud.

"Enough, Aunty. Victoria's leg is quite badly hurt. Let's bring her to get it checked at the hospital first."

At this moment, Ethan walked up and once again, bent down to carry Victoria. In a gentle tone, he advised,

"Hang in there. We'll go to the hospital first. It'll be fine!"