Chapter 14: Marriage Certificate, Mrs. Arya Knight

Silence returned to the room once again.

Arya looked at the closed door and her mind went fuzzy. She only came back to her senses when Xavier unpacked the medicine and handed the pills to her.

"They've left. What are you looking at? They'll send the marriage certificate over by tomorrow morning. Take this medicine. You'll get better soon."

His deep voice was filled with warmth. Arya raised her head and stared at him blankly. His black eyes looked at her worriedly, and she paused for a bit before taking the pills.

"Aren't you going to ask me what happened?" She asked as she looked him in the eye.

Xavier hesitated for a moment, then he laughed as he handed a glass of water to her.

"A knife pierced through your shoulder. Do you want me to ask you if you were brave? Or if I feel that you're powerful?"

She froze when she heard him. "You know all about it already?"

Xavier did not say a thing. He subtly tossed a piece of paper into the dustbin.

Actually, when she was unconscious, Rick had told him all about what he discovered. Xavier more or less knew what had happened during the banquet.

Arya lowered her gaze when he stayed silent. Taking a deep breath, she swallowed the pills in her hand with some water to wash away the bitter taste.

"I never expected you to agree even under those circumstances. I..."

She had mixed feelings within her, but she was grateful for him always coming to her rescue during her time in need.

"Why shouldn't I?" He asked as he took the empty glass from her.

"I told you that I need a marriage and that if you don't mind, I'll naturally accept you as my wife."

Suddenly, Xavier swiveled his head around. His eyes were as dark as the night as he looked at her. His voice sounded genuine.

"The moment you signed your name on the marriage contract, you're my wife. There's no chance of regretting it."

No chance of regretting?

Would she even regret it?

Regret what?

There was nothing bad about it though. It was a clean cut with the past, forcing herself not to go back anymore. Maybe this was a chance for her to seek a new path in her life.

She was really tired of struggling with the same issue for so many years. Maybe, marrying someone would allow her to escape the suffocating feeling every time she returned to her empty house.

At least, she was able to triumph and get married before them. She supposed she could protect her stubborn pride.

Everything would be a new start. It had to be...

Arya suddenly raised her head as a smile appeared across her beautiful face. Her eyes looked at him with genuine gratitude while she said quietly,

"Thank you, Xavier. I'll do my best to be your wife."

A sense of warmth passed through Xavier's elegant face as he saw her smile. His eyes seemed serious as he smiled back at her and his rare sense of humor surfaced.

"I believe in my wife's determination."

Arya could not hold in her laughter upon hearing his words.

"Thank you for having faith in me, Mr. Knight, however, I'm feeling hungry right now. Can Mr. Knight go do some hunting and get some food for me? Just water isn't able to satisfy me."