Chapter 8: I trust you Ms. Johns

"Since that is so, I hope that you'll take charge of this project, Ms. Johns. I'll give you a month's time and hopefully, you can present a sound proposal at the next monthly meeting. Any problems?" Xavier's deep and calm voice concluded.

Arya frowned slightly and looked at the documents which are handed her. She hesitated for some time before looking up at Xavier who was reading through some documents. "I..."

He raised his head slightly when he heard her voice, his quiet, dark eyes meeting hers. He spoke up when he saw Arya hesitating,

"You can tell me if you face any difficulties. I'll get two experienced assistants to help you. Aren't you confident in yourself, Ms. Johns?"

Arya was surprised by his tone as she realized that he had a lot of faith in her. Vice President kept signalling her with his eyes, so she helplessly nodded and said,

"Thank you for having faith in me, President Knight. I'll do my best and not let you down."

Xavier nodded and then looked at everyone.

"I hope everybody can work on your delegated tasks. Talk less and do more. There'll be rewards if the quota is met every quarter. If there's a surplus of results, I'll take 5% of the pure profits from your department and give it as a bonus. How much you get depends on how hard you work."

"Yes, President! We'll do our best!"

Everyone was hyped up. Who would not be excited to know that they could get more money?

It was unexpected for Chairman Knight to be so generous and use such reinforcements to encourage the employees. Would everyone not work hard in order to get the bonus? They would get more if they worked more!

"Any more problems?" Xavier asked.

Everyone shook their heads.

"Meeting adjourned."

Xavier stood up and left the meeting room with Rick and James swiftly following him.

The others left the meeting room as well.

...

Arya's office was on the 51st floor which had a simple and elegant design and was pretty spacious as well. Behind the large office table was a huge window. Outside the window, one could see the sea. Altogether, it was a very pleasant working environment.

Tok-tok!

There was a rap on her door moments after Arya sat down.

"Come in!" Arya had her eyes glued onto her computer screen and just reacted plainly.

The door opened and her assistant Reena came in, bowing politely.

"Ms. Johns, Chairman Knight's assistant Rick called and said that Chairman Knight wants you to go to his office."

The Chairman's office?

Arya paused before raising her head and looking at Reena. She hesitated for a moment and then nodded. "I got it."

"I'll get back to work then!" Reena then left the room swiftly.

Arya felt a sudden headache as she was reminded of the new development project. It was difficult for her to handle such a huge project alone. She might need to gather a team and conduct a thorough analysis. Only then she might come up with a more complete proposal.

She thought that she would have to share her sentiments to her supervisor.

She was about to tell Vice President Lin about it, but she remembered that it was Xavier who had appointed her directly and not through Vice President Lin, so she probably had to tell him anyway.