Chapter 73: Shocking News

The corner of Xavier's lips lifted slightly, curving into an elegant smile. She gladly answered,

"Father has always praised you highly. Grandfather, we should have visited you sooner."

As he listened, Richard paused, his old face flashing with a smile.

"You are Michael's son... Then, how did you two... How did you end up together?"

Richard remembered that back then at his birthday banquet, Arya had still been...

"He's my senior and my superior." The person who answered was Arya as she shot Xavier a look. Then, she took a cup for him and poured him some tea.

"He's very good to me, so we got married. Grandfather, you don't have to ask anything. Just wish us well."

Pausing as she looked up to Richard, she said,

"I've been doing well. I wanted to go back and visit you before the New Year. Mother mentioned it too, but after we thought about..."

When she said this, Arya did not continue, but Richard already understood her. He fell silent for a moment, then nodded.

"Since you've put it this way, I won't say too much either. You've found a good home for yourself. Obviously, I'm happy. By the looks of it, your father doesn't know either, I suppose?"

Richard was no stranger to the name Xavier at all. In fact, he was Michael's son. Their family background was celebrated and worthy of admiration. Besides that, he had previously heard of the Knight family's young master being a rare talent. At today's meeting, he could see that he was outstanding indeed!

He really never would have thought that Arya would be able to get attached to such an important person. In fact, to marry into a prominent family like the Knight family was not easy.

Richard could not hide the puzzlement in his eyes as he examined Arya and Xavier for quite a while, yet he could not notice anything unusual. Instead, he could tell that Xavier seemed to be quite caring and considerate about Arya. In fact, he looked at her with a different kind of gaze. As a man himself, Richard naturally understood what that gaze implied.

He waited for quite a while and yet did not hear Arya answer. Xavier then reached out and gently held her cold hand that was perched on her knee under the table, and he answered Richard,

"When Father returns, I wonder if you'd be willing to come for a meal with him. It'd be good for both sides of the family to meet. As for the rest, if it's too rushed, we might need to arrange it nearer to the wedding."

Now that he thought about it, they could only do it like that. Initially, after Ethan found out, Xavier had already made plans that they would eventually need to meet Richard and Benjamin, but she had not said anything and he was not willing to probe at her wound, so the matter was temporarily set aside.

Richard hesitated for a moment, then he said,

"Your father might only return to New York City in another two days..."

"Mmm, I'll arrange everything. Thank you, Grandfather, for taking care of Arya. She's always been very grateful for you." Xavier tone was genuine and his eyes were dense with sincerity and gratitude. His elegant manner naturally won him Richard's approval.

Whether a person was cultured or not would usually be revealed through their words and actions. Richard had rolled in the business world of mutual deception before and he could judge people well. From a simple meeting like this, he was already in admiration of Xavier.

With Arya's personality, she was a little like her father too. In Richard's heart, he actually favoured Arya more because she was more like Benjamin, while the latter was a scar in his heart that he could never erase...