Chapter 59: Why Shouldn't I Marry Him?

A short silence occurred around Victoria after she finished her sentence. Arya noticed the gazes from all around them and she frowned slightly. She nearly forgot what day it was today.

"What did you do to her? Or what is your aim? Why do you need to befriend her and have her give you a chance?" A quiet voice broke the silence. It was Xavier who had been silent this whole time.

He spoke as he grabbed a paper towel from James, handing it to Arya while his eyes were staring at Victoria. Victoria felt like she had nowhere to run under his gaze. She looked downwards out of fear and avoided looking into his eyes.

Due to Xavier's overpowering aura, Victoria could not stand it anymore and dragged Ethan beside her. She mumbled,

"Chairman Knight, Sister and I just have... some misunderstandings, so..."

"Victoria!" Ethan suddenly called out to her and pulled her closer to him. His eyes met with Xavier's gaze. Just as he was about to say something, Arya emptied the half-filled glass and handed it to a waiter nearby. She told Xavier,

"I'll go and wash my hands."

Xavier glanced back at her, knowing that she was worried this might mess up the event's atmosphere. He nodded and adjusted the shawl on her shoulder.

"Come back quickly."

Her slender figure vanished in the crowd after a brief reply...

"I don't care what misunderstandings you've had with Arya in the past, but you're the first one daring enough to pull such tricks right before me," Xavier stated indifferently as he looked at Victoria,

Victoria's face turned even paler. Even though his tone of voice was calm, she could not take the strong aura radiating from his eyes. She fretted while trying to explain,

"That's not it, Chairman Knight, Sister and I..."

Xavier did not bother to listen to her explanation. He glanced over at Ethan and said quietly,

"CEO Ethan, I hope there's no more next time for what happened today."

Before Ethan could react, Xavier walked past him.

Ethan's expression darkened as Xavier marched past him coldly. His dark eyes turned icy as he suddenly moved Victoria's hand onto his arm. He glared at her sharply and made her panic.

"Ethan, I didn't! You have to believe me!" Victoria grabbed onto his sleeve out of trepidation while tears appeared on the verge of her eyes. She seemed really frail and innocent.

Ethan stared at her for a long time. His eyes and emotions were getting more and more complicated. After a while, he said,

"That's enough. Get back to your seat."

"Cousin!" Evelyn caught up to them and studied Ethan worriedly.

"Let her get some rest. I'll go out to take a breather." Ethan put the wine glass in his hand away before leaving.

...

Inside the washroom, Arya stood before the tap and washed her hands quietly. She raised her head and saw her somewhat exhausted face. Her eyes had dark rings around them. She splashed some water onto her face and felt refreshed when she looked at her face once again, letting out a sigh of relief.

After she was done, she walked through the long corridor upon leaving the washroom. To her surprise, she saw Ethan smoking in a corner. He seemed lonely as she watched his large figure from afar.

Her steps faltered slightly, but she did not stop at all. She averted her gaze and pretended as if she did not see anything, intending to walk away quietly.