Chapter 87: Choice

The dinner turned into an unhappy event because Ethan did not sign the contract on time. It was already 7 p.m. when Ethan arrived and everyone had been waiting for a while at the dining table.

Richard and Kristina went over, but Benjamin was busy, so he was absent.

The dinner did not go well. As a result, the Hudson family left angrily soon after dinner. Upon seeing their reaction, Elder Martinez was enraged as well and he swiftly left after that too.

"Ethan, didn't we talk about it already? Why aren't you signing it now?"

On the staircase outside of the villa, Madison who was on her way back could not hold back her curiosity and asked Ethan, concern in her eyes,

"Be honest with me. Are you doubting the legitimacy of the child? I saw Secretary going to visit a doctor the other day. I could feel that something wasn't right in addition to the chaos recently... but Victoria insists that it's yours..."

Ethan took a deep breath and looked at Madison, his cold face softening slightly.

"It's alright. That's my child, but things are a bit complicated between Victoria and I. There're a lot of things I need to consider. Mother, please give me some time. I hope I can have a marriage like yours and father's... a one-and-only kind of marriage."

Madison was stunned for a moment. After giving it some thought, she nodded.

"Okay, I'm sure you're exhausted by all the things happening lately. Sigh, was I wrong to support you and Victoria back then? Now that I think about it, Arya might have suited you better. Plus, your grandfather likes Arya more. He cares a lot about reputation. If it weren't for the incident in the military school, he wouldn't have agreed so quickly. Well, since you're sure the child inside Victoria is yours, then you have to bear the responsibility."

Madison sounded a little depressed. She stopped when she saw Ethan not being very pleased.

"No matter what, the Martinez family needs to be responsible. Moreover, the Martinez family doesn't have many descendants. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, Mother, I understand."

"Mmm, think hard about it then, I'll head back now. I've left several servants here to help, so don't worry." Madison then turned around and went back.

Ethan watched her figure disappear in the dark. He was staring out blankly with a complex expression on his face until Victoria called out to him from behind,

"Ethan!"

Ethan swiveled to see Victoria in a loose white dress. She was about five steps away from him, and the cold wind blew her dress as her tiny frame stood there, making her seem so frail.

Under the dim light, he saw her familiar face once again, realizing that she looked haggard.

She stood there quietly as she caressed her still flat stomach. She bit her lip and seemed hesitant to speak as Ethan's quiet eyes looked complicated. He gave it some thought but he was not sure what to say.

As if trying to prove something, Victoria stepped forward and grabbed Ethan's hand. She clutched him tightly as she explained,

"I know my ways have hurt Arya, and it made you fed up as well, but I just want to beg you for a chance. I'm willing to stand beside you anew. I'm sorry, Ethan... I love you too much. I've been in love with you for over a decade and we've shared numerous pleasant memories together. Are they not enough to touch your heart? Let the past stay in the past. I'll change in the future. I will!"

"I've thought about it a lot in the past few days. Sister is just amazing. Although she always seemed cold, distant, and stubborn, once you're attracted to her, it'll be very difficult to pull yourself away. Ethan, I'm a woman. I understand a woman's charm well, just like how Father has been missing Aunt Arianna all these years. Everyone thinks that Father and Mother are a couple with mutual respect, but I know very well that he never once forgot about Aunt Arianna... and Sister is so similar to her..."