You Should Have Listened

Marinette manages to get Alya an interview with famous well-known news company. Too bad Alya believes Lila more than her and ruins her chances

It was the week before Christmas, and Mrs. Bustier suggested a Secret Santa in the class. She noticed the tension in the class, so she thought this would ease it up.

It only made things worse, but everything turned out for the better.

Marinette got Alya for the Secret Santa and decided to chose something that Alya would love. Even though Alya doesn't want to be friends with her anymore.

"Marinette, are you sure you want to do this?" Tikki asked. She witnessed the bullying of her chosen and doesn't think continuing to interact with the reporter will be good for her.

"No, I'm not sure. But she didn't say anything about not getting her gifts. It's almost Christmas, after all. " Marinette smiled. She hoped Alya would still love it.

The baker girl went all out for her Alya. She asked her honorary uncle Jagged Stone for an hour-long interview with her, along with CNN 10 and Nadja Chamack. She also added in an interview with Ladybug to boost her chances of getting an application accepted.

The Friday before Christmas Break, Marinette wrapped her gift in a box and headed to school. When she arrived, everyone was exchanging gifts to each other. Turns out, Adrien had her as a Secret Santa so he got Marinette different kinds of fabric as an apology for Lila.

Ah yes, the liar herself was receiving gifts from everyone, no matter who her person was. She made some excuse about it.

"I'm so sorry Rose, my gift to you never came in. I hope you don't see me as a bad friend." Lila hugged herself, acting guilty.

"It's no trouble, Lila!" Rose comforted her. "It's not your fault." Marinette thought now would be a good time, since Lila wasn't telling any stories. She went up to Alya, hands shaking with nerves.

"Happy Secret Santa!" Marinette smiled as she held out the box. She expected a hint of surprise, not anger or disappointment.

"You took Lila's gift to me and posed it as that?!" Alya screeched. Lila smirked.

"I didn't steal anything from Lila-"

"No! It's about time someone put you in your place." Before Alya could do anything, Jagged Stone and Nadja Chamack appeared at the door.

"Mari, my niece! Did she like the gift?" He asked, side hugging her. Lila was a little pale and shaking in her shoes. Rose however, thought she was crying and spoke up. 

"Mr. Jagged Stone? Could you sing Lila a song? To make her feel better."

"Who's this Lola girl?" Alya was confused.

"What about your cat she saved on a runway?"

"Where are you kids getting these stories from? I've never had a cat I'm allergic. I haven't written a song to anyone besides Ladybug, and writing a song about a minor could raise suspicion and ruin my career." He looked at Alya. "Mari here says you're studying to be a reporter. Shouldn't you be fact-checking these stories?" Alya got a clue and pulled out her phone. Lila tried to dig herself out of the situation before it gets too out of control.

"I need to go to the bathroom," She nervously said, but Alya stopped her.

"Was everything you told us...A LIE?!" The reporter yelled at Lila.

"No Alya, I would never lie to you-"

"You just did!" Alya scrolled through her phone, showing Lila her evidence.

"So, you lied about me for your reputation?" Jagged looked upset. "We are definitely suing. You'll be hearing from my lawyers." Jagged left the room dramatically. Nadja, who was secretly recording it all as a surprise, also left the room and went to speak with the principal. Alya turned to Marinette.

"Mari-"

"Stop." Marinette put her hand up. "Only my friends can call me Mari. You are not one of them, and you made that very clear."

"I didn't know she was lying!"

"You would have if you took the time to listen to me instead of accusing me of jealousy." Alya felt a pang in her heart.

"Well, the signs were there! You were crazy about Adrien and the second Lila gets here you act different and hostile!"

"Why would I still be on Adrien when I already have a boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend??? Who?!"

"Why would I tell you? You wouldn't believe me anyway." Alya was silent, feeling extremely guilty. Marinette took advantage of the silence to end the conversation and leave. Rose was left confused and Adrien was slightly blushing.

~Later That Night~

Marinette cuddled with Luka on her couch, playing video games. After that Luka just strummed his guitar while she sketched new designs. "So, you wanna tell me why that explosion of an argument was on live tv?" He chuckled.

"Lila's lies got exposed. That's all that really happened." Marinette smiled. "It was a great Christmas gift though."

"Merry Christmas, my Melody." Luka started strumming Christmas songs. Marinette fell asleep on his shoulder, having a relaxing nap before Luka woke her up to go purify an akuma. Luka chuckled to himself as she came up with excuses and ran downstairs.

She was in too much of a rush to realize that he knew her secret.

849 words