0- Pain

Recommended songs: why me- by Zevia

。⋆。˚ ʚïɞ ˚。⋆。

One month. It had been one month since Akimitsu Yoshiko's life decided to stab her. One month since she lost her brother. Three days till the U.A. entrance exam. The timing was awful. She wasn't in her right mind. She couldn't think clearly through her fogged brain. Plus, she had zero motivation. Nothing mattered anymore.

Yoshiko was buried under a heap of blankets, away from all light and sounds. But when she closed her eyes, she still saw him. Her older brother. Her brother, whom she loved so much. He didn't deserve to die the way he did. He didn't deserve to have a bullet hit his head. But death doesn't check who deserves what, right?

"Yoshi." She heard a knock on her door. It was her mother. "Yoshi, Kenzo is here to see you."

Yoshiko got out of the blankets at the mention of Kenzo's name. Her dog, Bear perked up when she got up from the bed. Like a loyal companion, he stayed with her through it all. In all of this mess, Bear was the reason her last two strings of sanity didn't snap. She opened the door, not caring about the nest her hair was in. Behind her mother's shoulder stood her boyfriend, Kenzo.

"Hey, Yoshi," Kenzo said, looking at her and then her mother.

"Come in," Yoshiko said, holding the door wider.

"I'll leave you two to talk." Her mother said. Something on her face said that she had been talking to Kenzo before she bought him up to her room. Talk? Yoshiko thought. Did something happen? Oh God, she hoped all was well. Her heart couldn't take more.

Kenzo entered her room and closed the door behind him. He took a moment to take in her the state she was in. Her black and white hair was in a mess, freckled cheeks stained with tears, bags beneath her eyes and the clotted blood on her lip from biting it. It hurt to do this to her now of all time, but he didn't want to break her heart when it healed. She needed to know the truth. Yoshiko stepped towards Kenzo and buried her head in his chest.

"I'm so glad you came." She said in a muffled voice. Kenzo sighed and patted her head. This was going to be difficult. But it had to be done. He talked to her mother in advance before talking to Yoshiko. Her mother did get angry at him, but she agreed that Yoshiko needed to know.

"Yoshi, please sit down. I need to tell you something." Kenzo said. Yoshiko looked up at him with concerned silver eyes. The usual fierce glow was gone. In fact, she wasn't herself after her brother's death. She lost her explosive personality, replaced by a sad girl. Normally, she was loud, angry and cheerful. But it was all gone now.

"Is everything okay...? It's creepy when you say that." Yoshiko said, sitting on her messy bed.

"It's..." It's not okay, Yoshiko. It's not. "Just listen to me calmly, okay?"

"Okay." She breathed, nervously waiting for what came next. She bit on her lip, opening the wound again.

"Yoshiko, this is the worst possible moment... but you deserve to hear the truth." He raked his fingers through his hazel hair, searching for the right words and the courage to say them. "We've been a couple for two years. I'm not blind to that. But before I met you, there was someone else who had my heart, even though I never thought she would notice me. And then you came into my life, and I pushed her out of my mind. But lately, she told me she felt the same way about me and... I realized I never stopped wanting her. Please don't misunderstand. I thought I loved you. But I've been in love with her for longer. Besides, I just came to realize that you're not my type."