Alpha - Poisonous Intimacy - Chapter 20

Sora's POV

The monotonous sound of the health monitor beeped endlessly in my eardrums, numbing my senses with its steady pulse. Beep... Beep... Beep... I've gotten used to hearing the sound as it is the only reminder of life. Without the steady pulse, I'd be presumed dead. 

There's no sound or lights on the other side. Those who fail to wake to the sound of life support will never return to the living realm. I should be relieved by its reminder, but the hollow void in my chest only grows heavier at the slightest gesture of life. Why do I wish to be dead but still want to live? My vision gradually focused on the pale boy on the medical bed once I emerged from the bottomless thoughts in my mind.

Jae Yangcha. An underage alpha remained lifeless on the medical bed with the oxygen tube shoved deep into his throat to ensure his fragile lungs' survival. There's a deep purple bruise on his cheekbone. His eyes were still swollen from being attacked by the evil man. His lips were dehydrated and peeling. There was a deep bruise over his collar bones. The healing cuts... and scratches... covering most areas of his skinny figure. 

Those were exclusively the physical wounds I could see. There were more. Three broken ribs and a small blood clot in his skull. A mildly fractured spine... and a broken left arm. Bandages and plaster casts... surrounded his limbs and head as he peacefully rested before me, barely alive yet not weak enough to die. If only I was a few minutes late... the boy would be in the morgue right now... and I'd be heartbroken at his funeral.

"His condition is stable," Jimin whispered. I shifted my gaze to find Jimin leaning against the other medical bed. He woke up a few days ago. The medical team is still treating his stab wound.

"He lost his ability to walk," I muttered, glancing back at the young alpha. The doctor informed us he might be temporarily disabled... and if his condition is severe... he might be cursed with a permanent inability to move.

"The culprit?" Jimin asked.

"Dead," I muttered. Jimin sighed as he observed Jae Yangcha's pitiful state.

"What about my assailant?" Jimin asked.

"He escaped," I answered. I thought Jimin's attacker passed out when I raced off to save him... but Taehyung and my guards claimed... the man disappeared from the corridor upon their arrival. He fled.

"Who is initiating this madness...?" Jimin sighed, lowering his head to stare at his bandaged torso.

"You should side with So-young," I mumbled. My mother... might eliminate the Park to strengthen Taehyung's household. She claims it isn't her intention to cast the Parks out of the alliance, but I don't trust her.

"Was it your mother's doing?" Jimin asked. I sighed and shifted in the chair between the alpha and Yangcha's bed to face Jimin.

"No, but my mother is exploiting your household," I said shortly. Jimin grew hushed as he examined my face.

"My parents had already signed the new contract," Jimin shook his head. I gripped my hand uneasily at the thought of my mother's evil intention. Why is it that I have to be the antagonist's daughter? Why? Why was I born into a corrupted bloodline instead of a pure one? I'm disgusted by my mother's greed.

I left the medical room after the brief chat with Jimin and headed up the staircase to approach my mother's office. Appa is away on a business trip. The old oak loomed darkly above me as I halted before the door. Quietly, I glanced at the golden handle with an unsettled feeling. I reached out, gently nudging the door open to find my mother resting on her velvet chaise lounge by the window. She was staring at the flickering cloud above the mansion. It's not raining, but the sky is on the verge of unleashing its aggressive downpour. I slowly settled on the armchair with my wary gaze on her emotionless expression.