Alpha - Murder Trial - Chapter 26

Sora's POV

I shifted my position on the cushioned chair to ease my sore back as the warm lamp light illuminated the plain room, just enough to keep me awake by the medical bed. Beep. Beep. Beep.

The health monitor continuously chanted within the muted room, making my inside stir uncomfortably at the thoughts of the tragic incident. I sighed deeply, redirecting my weary gaze to Taehyung as he peacefully rested in his medical attire. He fainted on our way home from Jae Yangcha's villa. The gash on his upper left forehead bled nonstop without proper treatment, so the doctor had to bandage his entire head to contain the blood flow.

The medical team assisted my minor wounds, but I wasn't even that injured, except for my sprained ankle. It's very swollen. I could barely walk. Jungkook left to sleep in his room with a few bandages on his cuts and scratches.

Taehyung absorbed the most damage during the conflict.

What will happen to us once the sun rises tomorrow? I'm uncertain. I'm afraid the star's warmth will be blocked by the shaded clouds, casting a disastrous shadow on our households. There was nothing I could do to evade the crisis and I knew... we'll be swept off our feet into the dangerous storm. Creak. I blinked out of my thoughts, turning to find eomma standing by the doorway in her nightgown. She didn't look at me but stared at Taehyung's adverse condition.

"Did he... kill... the alpha?" Eomma whispered, apprehensively glancing at me from the door. We didn't have time to clarify the situation to the elders earlier.

"No. But it'll be difficult to prove his innocence to the council," I shook my head. Eomma sighed and leaned her head against the door frame.

"Do you love him?" Eomma asked, blankly staring at Taehyung. I turned to look at her soulless body with a numb mind.

"Of course," I responded. Eomma didn't respond to me. She examined Taehyung with her sunken eyes.

"If Kim Taehyung fails to defend himself in the game... we'll be in danger," Eomma finally spoke up.

"What do you wish to do? Stay quiet?" I asked, unsurely eyeing eomma.

"Jisoo is suspicious of her late husband's murder. I'm afraid the Jeon will detach their involvements from us... once they uncover the hidden truth," Eomma muttered. I blinked and turned to stare at Taehyung's awfully yellowish skin. He killed his average uncle, and everyone is dishing about it. Taehyung has to battle... two fronts in the war. The society and his own alliance.

"If we fall apart... the society will seize the opportunity to terminate us," I shook my head. We can't risk fighting amongst our own households. Mrs. Jeon can't find out about Taehyung's crime against her late husband. The truth must be buried to sustain a peaceful alliance between the allies.

"You're right. Our only hope is Kim Taehyung. We must protect him at all costs," Eomma nodded, straightening her body. She told me to rest and left after the brief chat, so I turned to stare at Taehyung's injured body with a discouraged face. 

Jae Yangcha supplied the society too much information... to strike Taehyung. I'm afraid... we won't make it out in one piece. Sora. You should be ashamed! Taehyung is enduring the deadly turbulence because I chose to protect the silent killer! I bit my lower lips, shakily reaching out to hold Taehyung's hand. I have to help him. I dragged him into this mess.

A subtle breeze brushed my hair as I napped in an uncomfortable position after accidentally dozing off beside Taehyung's medical bed. Poke. I felt a soft tap on my nose. Grumbling softly, I opened my sleepy eyes to find another pair of pupils staring directly into mine, causing my heart to skip a beat.