Alpha - Parallel Lines - Chapter 28

Flashback

"How long have you been experiencing the symptoms?" The head doctor asked, glancing at me after we settled before his desk.

"Uh... since... I visited Busan. I kept getting headaches and seeing weird visions," I nodded. The head doctor rubbed his chin with his eyes fixed on my MRI scan.

"You've developed a brain tumor," He sighed, pushing the picture of my brain toward me. Taehyung stiffened in his place as he held my hand.

"Neh?" I blinked. The head doctor pointed his pen at my brain image. It was a pea-sized tumor on the left side of my frontal lobe.

"The tumor is located on the membranes that cover the brain, called meninges. It's still in the early stage... but it is infectious and will spread to the other healthy parts," The head doctor informed. Taehyung remained muted as he stared at the results, so I pursed my lips and glanced at him.

"Taehyung- I think we should contact the elders-"

"O-Oh- yeah-" Taehyung stiffly nodded, fumbling for his phone in his pocket. He quickly got up to exit the room as I sat with the head doctor. My heart started racing in fear as I stared at my brain scan without blinking. A rush of overwhelming emotions suddenly swept through me as I stared at the result. THUD. I quickly snapped my head after I heard someone shrieking.

"Sir!- Sir?!" A nurse gasped as I rushed out of the room to find... Taehyung lying unconsciously on the floor.

"Assist him! Sora, I'll contact your mother," The head doctor gasped, quickly crouching down to feel Taehyung's pulse. The nurse rushed away to alarm the others for help. I felt my world spinning around me until my body elevated from the ground... as I watched the medics heave Taehyung onto the medical cart.

"T-Taehyung..." I whispered, trying to walk forward as the world tilted from side to side until my vision distorted and- Thud. My legs wobbled, sending me slamming into the wall. I felt weak. It's as if I had no energy left in me. The head doctor wildly turned to stabilize my body as my head spun like a whirlpool until the darkness swallowed the source of light above me.

I lost consciousness.

.

.

.

The darkness I descended into earlier faded away as soon as it engulfed me. I sat stiffly, stunned by the strange surroundings. There is beautiful scenery beyond my gaze. It felt like... I had seen it before. Yet I couldn't recall the memories of witnessing the precise moment.

The sea. It was the calm sea. The gentle waves... washing the seashells on the beach. The warm sun... setting at the far horizon. The familiar seagull... squawking in the gloomy sky.

I felt nothing but this pacifying serenity within me. Gradually, I rose to my feet in confusion. How did I end up here?- Oh? I stood in place when I noticed the soft specs... drizzling before the seaside view. Snow? It's snowing.

My lips parted as I admired the lightweight frost with my sparkling doe eyes, slowly approaching the glass wall with my lips ajar. It was snowing over the gloomy sea. The Winter Sea. The ethereal beauty of the once-in-a-lifetime phenomena. I stood with an empty mind until... I heard faint sniffles. It was as if someone was crying behind my back. I averted my gaze from the sea, turning towards the source of the sound and halted in surprise.

"Huh...?" I furrowed my eyebrows as I stared at an awfully identical clone of... me.

Jang Sora. I was staring at myself.