Alpha - Double Edged - Chapter 31

Sora's POV

The invisible cramp churned and twisted within the center of my upper rib cage as I wept on the floor, severely torn by his heartless determination to wed another woman without my approval. Every inch of my body is... aching in despair.

My head... throbbing with a dull ache. My weak limbs... shaking from the relentless grief. My puffy eyelids... swollen from the downpour of hot tear streams. My nose... failing to regulate my breathing rhythm as my slimy snot dripped onto the marble floor. How is it that I'm still alive with... so much pain? I didn't know. It was beyond my weak body's capability to endure the painful swells and surges of distressing emotions.

Snap.

I slightly twitched, stifling my muffled breath with my swollen eyes fixed on my shadow. The blurry reflection of my pitiful state.... reflecting off the polished tiles. A warm teardrop dripped onto the floor as I stared at my fuzzy form... weirdly shifting under the tiles. It's as if I was staring at my inner soul... convulsing and screaming within its noiseless dimension, trapped as a shadow beneath me. The unyielding ache abruptly subsided, substituted by an intense hollowness, gradually expanding within my bleeding chest to clog the open wounds with its thick haze.

My pulsating chest calmly... rising and sinking as the foreign darkness roamed my inflamed nerves, pricking my wounds with its icy cold tingles until I twitched uncomfortably, ultimately paralyzing the gushing heartache.

The living room grew hushed. I couldn't hear anything but the tedious quietness... ringing loudly in my eardrums. Absolute silence. Thump. Thump. The steady pulse pounded in my head until the unpleasant chills ascended to the tip of my skull, intoxicating me with its numbing anesthesia, depriving my shaken self of emotional responsiveness to reject the unfavorable stimulation.

I quietly sniffled, tilting my head from side to side as the unexplainable emotions ushered my wretched soul, replacing the discomfort with this... strange calmness. It switched off... my tear faucets to suspend the burning flows from my eyes. My heart rate began to fall to its stable pace until my lungs pumped adequate air for my deflated lungs, clearing my stuffy nose with the light airflow. I panted softly and closed my eyelids to lubricate my burning eyeballs.

The pain. It's gone.

I felt nothing but a bizarre calmness within me.

Jungkook tried to hold my arm, but I lifted my hand to stop him. I wiped my tear-soaked face and slowly pushed my body off the floor with my arms. Strangely, my legs... didn't wobble, and the chronic ache I felt earlier... ceased without a warning. My sore muscles didn't ache and my back didn't hurt anymore... as I rose to my feet without assistance. I directed my empty gaze to Taehyung as he stood beside Hwa-young with a poker face.

"Eomma..." I muttered, rotating my body toward my mother within the ring of the powerful households.

"Are you okay?" Jungkook whispered, lightly tugging my gown.

"What is it?" Eomma asked, unsurely eyeing me after I abruptly stopped throwing a tantrum.

"What did you do to Park Jihyun when he betrayed you?" I asked, tilting my head to the side to stretch my stiff neck.

"What?" Eomma stiffened in her seat. I smiled, weakly brushing back my hair.

"Just a question..." I softly chuckled, turning to limp toward the wheelchair. The elders stared at me with their lips ajar... as if I'd lost my mind. I reversed the wheelchair. Softly humming, I steered the wheel and slowly left the living room... leaving everyone dumbfounded by my sudden departure.