Alpha - Translucent Porcelain - Chapter 52

Present

Sora's POV

My heavy eyelids gradually parted from being awakened by thunderous footsteps outside the bedroom door. Did I oversleep? I stared at the plain ceiling above my head, patiently waiting for my quiet mind to function. Where am I? I glanced at a pile of stuffed animals by my side. Right. This isn't a dream. 

I slowly rose from the mattress while rubbing my forehead before glancing at Taehyung's neatly made bed and shifted my eyes to the random drawings pasted to the wall with cute tapes. I stared at the colorful toys... scattered on the bedroom floor before glancing at the small desks near the doorway piled with books and school accessories. They don't go to school. Taehyung personally teaches them at home. Thud! Thud! Thud! The sound of their little stomps drummed outside the door as they zoomed back and forth with their loaded morning energy.

Half of the room is littered with the twin's belongings... colorful and messy while the other half of Taehyung's side.... neatly organized and plain. I sighed while crawling off the mattress to make the bed, placed the stuffed animals against the pillows before bending down to pick up the toys, and sorted them into the crates by the wall. I folded their clothes to place them back inside the closet before strolling out of the bedroom to find... the twins crouching in front of the fridge to search for something in the lower drawer.

"Where's appa?" I asked as they reached for something from the freezer.

"Appa is at work~!" Woojin replied, standing up with a yogurt cup. Kanghoon climbed the kid's stool to grab a plastic plate from the cabinet before hopping back onto the floor.

"At work? You guys stay home alone?" I frowned, unsurely sitting on the couch as they walked towards me in the living room. Woojin tore open the yogurt cup with his front bunny teeth as Kanghoon placed a plastic teddy bowl on the coffee table.

"Neh~ Appa comes back at 3:00 PM~!" Kanghoon nodded as Woojin squeezed the flexible plastic cup until a chunk of frozen yogurt popped into the empty bowl. I frowned as Kanghoon dropped a few grapefruits onto the yogurt, added a bit of oatmeal from his palm, and pushed a plastic spoon into the yogurt.

"He leaves you two alone?" I repeated while frowning at the twins as they occupied themselves with the bowl and yogurt. Woojin didn't answer me and walked away to put the empty yogurt pack away. He opened the fridge again to pour the milk into a small teddy bear cup before strolling back inside the living room. Clatter. He placed the milk cup on the coffee table as Kanghoon jabbed the bowl to scramble the yogurt with the fruits.

"Tada~! Breakfast~!" They smiled, suddenly pushing the bowl and milk towards me. I frowned at them and glanced down at the messy bowl and the cup of milk as they keenly sat on the opposite side with bright beams.

"You make your own breakfast?" I asked, unsurely reaching for the bowl they made for me.

"Ani. Appa makes us breakfast. Pancake~! But mostly- Porridge~ with eggs!" Kanghoon shrugged.

"Eomma~ Don't tell appa, okay~? We don't like appa's porridge~! Soooo bland~! We make our food after appa leaves~!" Woojin cutely leaned over the coffee table to whisper behind his hand, even if it was just the three of us in the apartment. How can he leave the children alone for the entire day like this? To fend for themselves?

"What about lunch?" I asked, frowning at them.

"Porridge~!" Kanghoon pointed at the two bowl sets on the counter. I scoffed. So Taehyung leaves the cold porridge for them and leaves? That simply? This is how they're surviving? My heart stirred restlessly.