Chapter 46 Kiss me into the new year

Zayn's Pov

White crystals of delicate snowflakes danced in the air of gentle waltzes versus zesty tangoes. Watching the stars and the snow fall to the ground peacefully, kept me in a place of tranquillity. I was standing outside on the porch, in the middle of an outdoor party where most of Liam's family were lighting fireworks, eating food, playing games or sitting and talking till the hour ticked away and midnight strikes. There was a cigarette in my left hand and a virgin margarita in the other.

The sound of party behind me was comforting but I stood to clear my mind and take a break from all the pent up happiness and hyperness.

"There you are..." a soft voice joined me, strong arms curling around my waist so that I'd be pressed against his strong chest. I melted into Liam, sighing happily when he laid his head upon my shoulder. My eyes fluttered closed as we stood like that together, intertwined in one another. Both of our families were here at the party in Liam's house. I hadn't left after we talked and actually spent the nights here with Liam till new years hit. The next day, me and Liam would hit the road to drive to Harry's home back in London where we'd meet up and then go Simon's office or talk about what was next for us.

"I needed a moment from the chaos," I mumbled, still distracted from my thoughts. I felt him take a deep breath. It kept me grounded; further relaxing me into him. My head fell back and he nuzzled his face into my neck, his arms coming forward to trap me against the edge of the porch. 

"I know...my parents are getting really crazy. They're all drunk off their asses," Liam chuckled, the sound nice and low. I couldn't help the smile that curled up my lips.

"I'm proud of you," I whispered, moving so that I could open my eyes and face him. Liam still caged me against the balcony, pressing me up against the cool metal of the handle. Looking up into his chocolate puppy eyes, they were so clear and shone with contentment. He towered over me and I felt nice and safe and just warm with him here now that we were back together.

That night when I went to see him, we did get back together. Perhaps, I was just too far gone for this man but I had already forgiven him. I knew I made the right choice to go back to him, see how he was doing, to only find out that after our breakup, he didn't touch one drink at all. Liam proved his fight well because with the party and his parents, my parents, our siblings and all the alcohol and all the food, he avoided it. He stayed sober.

Really, it felt like his attention was only on me.

Liam's eyes glistened. "Why?"

Such a simple word and yet caused me confusion.

"What do you mean why?" I laughed softly. "You stayed sober...even though you're surrounded by alcohol."

He wrinkled his nose, chuckling. "As much as my mind is telling me to drink, I'd much rather be sober and mindful of the moments I'm spending with you."

Liam's words made me more emotional then I had expected. They were so genuine and raw...and full of love and passion. My love for this man never seems to run out and that made me feel like I didn't truly deserve him but I had him and he made me so, so, happy.

My fingers traced his jaw as I stared up into his eyes. "I love you so, so, much....it fucking hurts and I love that too."

Liam's smile was one I wanted to tattoo on my body and keep it forever.

*

Louis's Pov

"Lou?" I thought I was alone but I wasn't. Harry's voice shook me out of a senseless daze and I was brought back to reality. I didn't look at him just yet, seeing that out of the corner of my eye, he sat down next to me where I sat upon my mother's old swing. I had so many memories on this swing, from the time Lottie was born to when I had finally made it home to meet my family after her passing. Me, Lottie and Fizzy sat on this very swing and cried in each other's arms.