Chapter 4: Ashley's POV

My journey back to the hotel is still consumed by thoughts of Andy. Putting this distance between us doesn't stop him invading my mind. The longer I walk, the louder the voices get until I can't ignore them anymore.

I was so stupid... What was I thinking? He wouldn't ever be interested in someone like me... Why did I ask him here anyway? He'd never want to be with me... He probably only agreed to come out because he felt sorry for me... Or maybe he was just bored... To think, I'm just background noise to him, when he occupies my thoughts 24/7...

The only relief I get is when I accidentally bump into a man down an alleyway: the combination of tears clouding my vision and poorly-lit neighbourhoods makes me virtually blind.

"Sorry..." I mumble, wiping a rogue tear that I feel tickling my cheek. The guy just turns around and shouts something I can't really understand - his New Jersey accent makes it hard to tell - spitting rudely in my direction. God, some people are such idiots.

But I'm too tired of everything to make a big deal of it, so I just told my arms tighter over my chest and let my hair swing across my face, concealing my face from the world.

I'm so wrapped up in my own mind that I trip over a loose stone in the crude paving. This jolts me back to reality and I realise it's not worth fighting the tears.

I lean my back against the wall, tilting my head up to look at the faltering stars. They always remind me of how beautiful the universe is, but this time all I can think of is how insignificant I am.

I slide my body down until I'm on the floor, my hands cover my face to conceal it from the world. I'm not crying anymore, all I'm doing is overthinking everything that has just happened.

Suddenly a sound pierces the darkness: scuffling, and a sharp cry. Looking to my right, I see figures grappling in the dim streetlights. I stand up and start to walk towards them to see what's going on. Another yell comes from the taller one, it sounds a bit like - ANDY!