Chapter 29: Andy's POV

Struggling to open the dense wood door, I motion for everyone else to follow me: I don't want to be the only one in there!

As soon as I step inside, there's a general smell of old. I act confident, marching up to what seems to be reception.

"Hello?" I ask, impatiently, not expecting an answer. Suddenly, an elderly man speaks; I jump in surprise.

"Yes boy?" His shaking voice echoes in the almost empty room - everyone's still hiding outside, but I can see them peeking through the grimy windows. They're all counting on me: it's only an old man, what harm can he do?

"We um..." I can feel my voice quavering - stop it! "We were wondering if there are any rooms for us to stay in?"

The guys finally decide to join me. Ash, being the considerate person he is, gives each of our names.

When he's finished, I turn to go upstairs, when I hear:

"Just make sure you don't step on the rats; they're quite vicious."

After that comment, I let Jinxx go up first, but I'm close behind him.

We walk cautiously down the hallway while subtly checking which room's the best. Conveniently, it's the one right at the end.

When me and Jinxx see the room, our eyes lock onto the one bed which doesn't look disease-ridden. We break out into a run, and I tackle him off it, leaving him on the floor.

Standing up to claim the other bed, Jinxx realises that John is already there.

"Aw, come on!" He exclaims.

"Hey, I already do enough for everyone round here. Don't I at least deserve the one decent bed?"

"You're right," I say, standing up. "So here you go, your majesty." With an exaggerated flourish of my hand, me and John have swapped beds.

"Well, what are we meant to do now?" Jinxx whines.

"I don't know, you tell me, momma Jinxx." I say sarcastically. At that moment, Ashley appears in the doorway.

John tells him about the situation: wait. I could actually share a bed with Ashley Purdy. And not in that way, just as friends, right?

"I guess," Everyone's head turns to look at me. "Uh, some of us will have to share?"