1 The Start

I was an ordinary girl, went to school, had a loving family and friends until everything started.
I was alone when it got really bad, my Mother and Father were at work so it was just me in the house. I never liked being alone so I went to Carl's. He is my best friend so it was normal for me to go over but this day was anything but normal.
They started broadcasting a message of what to do where to go. I was terrified, not just for myself but for my parents they were supposed to be home two hours ago and if they were running late they would usually call but I hadn't heard anything.

—————— One Week Later——————————

We sat in the bright sun with some people we found.

The radio began to crackle, Amy ran over dropping the fire wood. Dale and the others quickly joined.

   "Hey. Hello?" Amy asked. "Yes, I can hear you. You're coming through. Over. — We're just outside the city. Damn it. Hello? Hello? He couldn't hear me. I couldn't warn him."

    "Try to raise him again." Dale told her. "Come on, son, you know best how to work this thing." Dale told Shane.

I stood with Carl as we watched, I have stayed glued to him ever since.
Shane got up and grabbed the radio.

   "Hello, hello. Is the person who called still on the air? This is officer Shane Walsh broadcasting to person unknown. Please respond." Shane spoke but got no response. "He's gone."

    "There are others. It's not just us." Lori, Carls Mom said hopefully.

    "We knew there would be, right? That's why we left the C.B on." Shane told her.

    "A lot of good it's been doing." Lori said.

   "Okay." Shane sighed.

    "And I've been saying for a week we ought to put signs up on 85 to warn people away from the city." Lori told him.

    "Folks got no idea what they're getting into." Amy said.

    "Well, we haven't had time." Shane told her standing up.

    "I think we need to make time." Lori told him.

   "Yeah, that— that's a luxury we can't afford. We are surviving here. We are day to day." Shane explained.

   "And who the hell would you propose we send?" Dale asked.

   "I'll go. Give me a vehicle." Lori offered.

    "Nobody goes anywhere alone. You know that." Shane told her.

   "Yes sir." Lori said walkyaway.
Carl and I ran after her.

    "Hey hey hey. Go on, take a seat, you two." Shane said stopping us. "You're all right. Go on. You're all right."

"Come on Carl." I say turning around.

——————Later —————————————————

I was playing with Carl and his trucks in the dirt.

"Dale, I'm heading out." Lori called. "Sweetheart, (Y/n), I want you two to stay where Dale can see you, okay?" Lori told us.

"Yes, Mom." Carl said.

"Yes, Mrs Grimes." I say turning back to the trucks.

"You too. Don't wander too far." Dale yelled at her. "Stay within shouting distance. And if you see anything, holler. I'll come running."

——————Later —————————————————

Later on in the day I sat beside Carl on a rock with a rope in my hand's as Shane was trying to teach us how to tie the knot.