19 Eight Months

It's been a while, not much has changed, Carl and I should be 13 now though it's hard to tell. His hair is longer, hasn't been cut since Atlanta. He's brave and has a great aim, tough.
I've tried but haven't got much better with a gun, it's not one of my skills yet.
Lori's belly was very large now. Glenn and Maggie were together. Glenn, Daryl, Rick, Maggie, Hershel, T-Dog and Carl were the best fighters. Even though I wasn't the bravest I still wanted to help in ways I couldn't mess up, so Hershel taught me lots about medicine, wound, infection and how to fix and treat them. I got good at that.
I did have great eyesight, helpful for watch but not the best at aim a gun.

We spent a lot of the time raising houses taking any supplies we could use.

————————

We stood inside two gates surrounding a Prison, Walkers were roaming in the yard but once that's cleaned up we'll be safe.

"If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we can pick off these Walkers. We'll take the field by tonight." Rick explained.

"But how do we shut the gate?" Hershel asked.

"I'll do it. You guys cover me." Glenn said.

"No. It's a suicide run." Maggie told him.

     "I'm the fastest." Glenn said.

    "No, you Maggie, Beth, and (Y/n) draw as many as you can over there." Rick instructed pointing out. "Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, go back to the other tower. Carol, you've become a pretty good shot. Take your time. We don't have a lot of ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower."

I run off with, T-Dog, Maggie Beth and Glenn shouting along the way. We start banging and shouting to draw their attention away from Rick.

    "Come on!"

    "Hey, come here!" We yell.

I wait until there faces are against the metal before sending a pole through its eyes.

     "Light it up!" I heard Daryl shout.

We take out our guns and fire.

————

    "Fantastic." Carol smiled.

     "You okay?" Carol asked Lori as we passed.

    "I haven't felt this good in weeks." Lori smiled.

     "Your getting better." Carl told me.

     "Really? I'm pretty sure I only killed three, took off an ear." I say as we walk inside.

     "Oh! Oh!" Carol laughed. "She We haven't had this much space since we left the farm.

It was truly amazing.

——————Night————————

We sat round the fire.

     "Mmm. Just like Mom used to make." Glenn smiled tossing the bone.

"Tomorrow we'll put all the bodies together. Want to keep them away from that water. Now, if we can dig a Canel under the fence, we'll have plenty of fresh water." T-Dog said.

"And this soil is good. We can plant some seed, grow some tomatoes, cucumbers, soybeans." Hershel added. "That's his third time around. If there was any part of it compromised, he'd have found it by now."

"This'll be a good place to have the baby." Beth smiled. "Safe."

"Bethy, sing Paddy Reilly for me. I haven't heard that, I think, since your Mother was alive." Hershel said.
"Daddy, not that one, please." Maggie said.

"How about 'The Parting Glass'?" Hershel asked.

"No one wants to hear." Beth said.

"Why not?" Glenn wondered.

"Okay." Beth agreed.

"Of all the money that e'er I had spent
I've spent it in good company
And all the harm e'er I've done
Alas it was to none but me
And all I've done for want of wit
To memory now I can't recall
So fill to me the parting glass
Good night and joy be with you all"

Maggie joined in then me.

"Oh, all the comrades that e'er I've had
Were sorry for my going away
And all the sweethearts that e'er I've had
Would wish me one more day to stay
But since it falls unto my lot
That I should rise and you should not
I'll gently rise and I'll softly call
Good night and joy be with you all
Good night and joy be with you all."

"Beautiful." Hershel smiled.

"Better all turn in. I'll take watch over there. Got a big day tomorrow." Rick said.

"What do you mean?" Glenn asked.

"Look, I know we're all exhausted. This was a great win. But we've got to push just a little bit more. Most of the Walkers are dressed as guards and prisoners. Looks like this place fell pretty early. It could mean the supplies may be intact. They'd have an infirmary, a commissary. An armoury? That would be outside the Prison itself, but not to far away. Warden's offices would have info on the location. Weapons, food, medicine. This place could be a gold mine." Rick explained.

"We're dangerously low on ammo. We'd run out before we make a dent." Hershel said.

"That's why we have to go in there... hand to hand. After all we've been through, we can handle it, I know it. These assholes don't stand a chance." Rick told us.
I watched as Rick got up and Lori soon followed.
I stayed close to the fire as I fell asleep.

In the morning Rick, Daryl, T-Dog, Maggie and Glenn went in. Carl, I, Hershel, Beth, Lori and Carol were banging on the fence trying to draw as many over as possible.

"Com on, over here! Hey! Over here!" We yelled.
I stuck a pole through the head of any that came close enough. I was good at doing that and got quite a fair number of them.
We watched as they clear the Walkers out from that area and went up some stairs inside our of our view.