21 The Baby

I was standing outside the cell with Carl as Maggie stayed in beside her Father.

     "What's happening?" Beth asked walking in. "Do something. Somebody help! SOMEBODY. PLEASE HELP!"
I rush in and put my ear to his chest, I didn't hear anything. I looked at him knowing what I must do. I plug his nose and bring my mouth to his blowing air in. Then I put my hands to his chest and pump.

    "Breathe, come on." I muttered.
I go down to his mouth once more. An arm swung up around my head keeping me down as I struggle to pull out.

    "No!" Maggie yelled as she and Lori pulled me back.
I looked back at Hershel's eyes they weren't dead they were his eyes before he closed them and started snoring.

I'm still gasping for breath, I turn my towards the door, my eyes met with Carl's, he held up his gun pointing it at Hershel.

    "I'm okay." I breath.

———————Later————————

     "Hershel stopped breathing." Carl told his Dad when he returned. "(Y/n) saved him."

     "It's true." Glenn said.

    "Daddy?" I heard Maggie from inside.

     "Daddy." Beth said.

I look inside as he opens his eyes.

————————Next Day——————

I sat beside Carl as he cleaned his gun.

We smiled as Lori and Beth came in with crutches. We got up and stood by the door as Hershel pulled himself up.

    "Just take your time." Lori told him.

     "Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth said.

     "What else am I going to do?" Hershel stood up on the crutches. "I can't stand looking up at that bottom of that bunk anymore—" He stumbled a bit before walking forward. "You know, I think I'm pretty steady."

    "That's a good start." Lori smiled. "Want to take a rest?"

    "Rest? Let's go for a little stroll." Hershel said.

—————

Lori stood in front of Hershel as he hobbled down the stairs. We all stood close by in case he fell.

    "You cleared all those bodies out?" Hershel wondered looking around. "It's starting to look like a place we could really live in."

     "Hey, you watch your step. Last thing we need is you falling." Lori smiled.

     "All right, Hershel!" We heard Glenn yell from the fence.

    "You're doing great, Daddy." Beth said.

     "Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl asked.

   "Give me another day. I'll take you on." Hershel said.

The sound growling growls behind me. I turn around a smile still on my face but not for long. Walkers, lots of 'em heading towards us. I stumble back unable to make out a word yet, I tap Carl's shoulder.

    "Walker's! Look out!" He shouted.

Lori fires her gun and so does Carl, I take mine out but miss every shot except one.

     "Lori! Here!" Maggie calls.
Carl, I and Lori run over to the stairs shutting the gate behind us.
We rushed to the cell block but Walkers come through.
Maggie pushes us into the dark tunnels.