27 Better

We still lived at the Prison only things were better, everything was better. We had a farm, pigs, food. Everything was good, there were other kids as well. Life felt more like life, Carl and I read comics books with a flashlight, we had a real doctor, not that we don't need Hershel, I would go to him over the doctor but still I spent some time with him to learn new things, to get better. We found more people brought them in. The Prison was more friendly we had curtains as doors, decorated our cells/ rooms made it feel safe and like a home.

I ran to the gate with Rick and Carl as Michonne returned on a horse.

"We're glad to see you." Rick said.

"Glad to see you, too." Michonne said. "Somebody hit the jackpot." Out of the back she pulled out a stack of comic books.

"No way." Carl smiled. "Awesome! Thank you."

"I know what we will be doing tonight." I smile looking over at them.

"I get to read 'em when you're done. And I found this. Your face is losing the war." Michonne told Rick.

"You gonna stay a little while?" Rick wondered.

"Just a little while." Michonne answered.

Carl and I walked to the horse.

"Well, look who's back." Daryl said driving up with his bike.

"Didn't find him." Michonne said.

"Glad to see you in one piece." Daryl told her.

"I'm thinking of looking over near Macon. It's worth a shot." Michonne said.

"70 miles of Walkers." Daryl described. "You might run into a few unneighbourly types. Is it? I'm gonna go check out the Big Spot. The one I was talking about, just seeing."

"Yeah, I got to go out and check the snares. I don't want to lose whatever we catch to the Walkers." Rick said.

"I'll go." Michonne decided.

"You just got here." Carl told her.

"And I'll be back." Michonne assured.

—————

"Going to check the snares?" Carl asks his Dad as we put away the saddle.

"I am." Rick confirms. "You're not. Do your chores. Read comics with (Y/n). Maybe some books, too. Hang out with Patrick. Maybe you both go to story time."

"Dad, that's for kids." Carl said.

"Yeah." Rick said. "Now brush her down."

—————

"Nick, look over here." A kid said.

"This one's Wayne." Another kid corrected.

"Nick."

"Nick, over here." They called. "Hi, Nick!"
Carl, I and Patrick walked over as they were waving at the Walkers on the outside of the fence.

"You're naming them?" Carl asked.

"Well, one of them has a name tag, so we thought all of them should." Mika explained.

"They had names when they were alive. They're dead now." Carl told them.

"No, they're not. They're just different." Lizzie said.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Carl asked.
"Okay, they don't talk. They don't think. They eat people. They kill people."