17 Dale

Carl and I sat by Sophia's grave.

"You know, we'll see Sophia again in heaven some day." Carol said walking over. "She's in a better place."

I smile up at Carol.

"No, she's not." Carl said standing up. "Heaven is just another lie. And if you believe it, you're an idiot."

"Carl?" I say standing up. "I think we'll see her again." I smile at Carol before walking after Carl.

I slow down as Rick passes me.

———————Later—————————————

I follow Carl as we walk to the edge of the farm by Daryl's stuff. We avoid the dead hanging squirrels and walked over to his bike. I laughed as Carl grabbed the handle bars pretending to ride.

    "Carl are you sure about this?" I ask as he takes out a gun from the pouch.

    "Yeah, come on." He says and leads me into the woods.

The ground was green and dark no sunlight was making it through the leaves today. As we passed the creek we heard a growl.

    "Carl maybe we should just head back." I say.

    "(Y/n), we'll be fine, look." Carl points at the Walker as he walked closer to it.

The skin was white, it only had jeans on witch I think are grey, his thin hair was maybe blonde. His beard held dried blood. And his eyes cold, lifeless and haunting.

We stumbled back as he growled at us. But it didn't approach.

    "Hey, it's stuck in the mud." Carl said standing up and walking back toward the monster. He knelt down observing it.

     "Carl, don't." I say as he picks up a rock, giving me a smile he threw it hitting it's arm. As the Walker tried desperately to free himself and reach us. "Come on, let's just go." I say as Carl throws another one.

     "It can't hurt us." Carl says before getting up and running over to the other side of the water close to the Walker.
I watch nervously as Carl stands just out of the Walkers reach and took out his gun pointing at his head. Carl steady himself stepped closer.
Carl lets out a yell as the Walker frees a foot knocking Carl to the ground and grabbing a hold of his ankle.

     "Carl!" I scream quickly looking around myself, my eyes landing on a large fallen branch. I grab it and run to carl slamming on the Walkers head, nowhere near enough force to kill it but just enough to bring his attention away from Carl causing him to release. Carl grabs the gun and we run off not daring to looking back.

——————Back——

Carl and I walk towards the house.

"Let's gather up." Rick says.

"Come on, Carl, (Y/n). I want you two to stay with Jimmy." Lori said.

    "But— but I wanna listen." Carl protested.

    "Hm-mmm, not this time. Come on." Lori told him as we went inside.

————————Night—————————

It was a peaceful night I sat in my tent unable to fall asleep just listening to the crickets.
A scream pierced the silence a pained scream. I got out of the tent to Carl beside his Mother.

    "T-Dog, get a shotgun now!" Rick called.

    "I want you to go in the house, lock the door and I want you to stay, take (Y/n)." Lori instructed.
We didn't listen we ran over a little after Hershel.
The sight before me made my want to throw up and cry. Dale lay still alive but in pain with his stomach ripped open. Carl and I looked to the Walker responsible, the Walker that lay dead, a familiar sight, the Walker Carl and I found stuck in the woods the one we made angry.

I'm the end Daryl is the one to pull the trigger ending the suffering for Dale.

——————Next Day————————

      "Dale could— could get under your skin. He sure got under mine, because he wasn't afraid to say exactly what he thought, how he felt. That kind of honesty is rare and brave. Whenever I'd make a decision, I'd look at Dale. He'd be looking back at me with that look he had. We've all seen it one time or another. I couldn't always read him, but he could read us. He saw people for who they were. He knew things about us— the truth, who we really are. In the end, he was talking about losing our humanity. He said this group was broken. The best way to honour him is to Unbreak it. Set aside our differences and pull together, stop feeling sorry for ourselves and take control of our lives, our safety... our future. We're not broken. We are gonna prove him wrong. From now on we're gonna do it his way. That is how we honor Dale." Rick's speech to Dale at the funeral.

——————

I spent the rest of the day quietly alone, I couldn't help but feel responsible for his death.