13 Gun

"Okay, Rick's turn. You've given all you can give." Hershel came and told me after an hour and switched back to Rick.
I kinda felt dizzy, and weak but most of all I was tired and not long after I fell asleep in the chair.

——————

I woke up to the sun, blinking my eyes open I wasn't in the room, on the chair, I was on the couch. Someone must've moved me here in my sleep. Slowly I get up and walk to the room.

"Fever's gone down." Hershel said feeling Carl.

"Baby?" Lori asked.

"Carl?" Rick said.

"Sophia?" I head Carl's weak voice ask. "Is she okay?"

"Fine. She's fine." Rick lied.

"Rest." Lori told him. "We'll be right here, okay?"

"Okay." Carl nodded closing his eyes.

"They're here." T-Dog said coming through the door.
Lori and Rick follow him as I sit back in my chair.

———————Later——————————

"Blessed be God," Hershel spoke as we all stood round a pile of rocks for the funeral of Otis. "Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praised be to him for the gift of our Brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character; Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane, will you speak for Otis?"

"I'm not good at it." Shane looked down. "I'm sorry."

"You were the last one with him. Will you share his final moments. Please. I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia cried.

"Okay." Shane agreed. "We were about done. Almost out of ammo. We were down to pistols by then. I was limping. It was bad. Ankle all swollen up. 'We've got to save the boy.' See, that's what he said. He gave me his backpack. He shoved me ahead. 'Run,' he said. He said, 'I'll take the rear. I'll cover you.' And when I looked back..." Shane paused and limped to the centre placing a rock on the pile. "If not for Otis, I'd have never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too. It was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning, it was his."

——————Later———————————————

I sat back in the room with Carl. Lori occasionally came in and sat in the bed beside him. Even though all I was doing was sitting I always found it difficult to stay awake and often drifted off to sleep.

———————Morning——————————

"(Y/n)?" I heard Carl call. I opened my eyes, no one else was in the room.

"Your awake." I say happily going over to his bedside. "How you feeling?"

"Better than before." Carl smiled.

"Hey you have your Dad's hat." I say noticing it.

"He said I'm in the club now, that means I get to wear it." Carl said.

"It looks cool." I smile as his eyes start to close.

——————Night———————————

"(Y/n), sweetie, time to eat." Carol said gently shaking me awake. "Come on."

I smile and follow Carol out to the tables.
I sat beside Rick as everyone ate silently.