31 Danger

I walked beside Carl as he pushed Judith in the stroller through the streets of Alexandria. I saw him looking at to kids our age sitting on a bench, a girl and boy.

     "Carl?" A man called.

"What?" Carl asked annoyed turning around.

"You heard what I told Deanna about your group." The man, Gabriel said.

"What do you want?" Carl asked.

"It was about me, not you or your group. I know that now. I want to help. You tried to teach me back at my church. But I'm ready to learn now." Gabriel told him.

"I think you need to tell everybody." Carl said.

"Yeah, I think you're right." Gabriel nodded.

We turned back around but Carl stopped. "Come by around 3:00. We'll start with the machete."

"Who was that?" I asked.

"We met him at a church, never killed." Carl told me as we walked back to the house.

————

We were upstairs putting Judith to bed.
I smiled at her and looked back at Carl, he was just staring out the window.

    "Carl?-" I started.

"(Y/n), grab a gun." Carl instructed quickly turning toward me.

"What's going on?" I asked as I heard screams from outside.

We run from the room. I lock the door and turn around finding Carl holding out a gun for me.

"(Y/n) take it." Carl said.

"No, I don't need it." I tell him pulling out my pistol. "I'm best with this." Carl nods and we run down the stairs finding Carol making her way up.

"I saw from upstairs. They're coming in from all over." Carl told Carol.

"You two have to stay here and keep Judith safe." Carol instructed as she ran out.

We heard noise from front door, silently we both approached staying behind the wall. We see the shadow. At the sound of the door opening we jump out ready to shoot.

"Hi." Enid said shutting the door.

"Why didn't you just knock?" Carl asked her.

"I have these. Didn't want them to have them." Enid explained and held up a ring of many keys "And I wanted to say good-bye."

"Okay, watch the back door. Tell me if you see them coming." Carl told her.

"I'm not staying." Enid said.

"You're not going anywhere. Sit down. You're helping me protect Judith. They're not getting inside this house. We're not gonna let them." Carl told her as we walked into the living room sitting on the floor, Carl and I back to back and Enid against a wall.

    "Did you see them?" I asked her.

"They're just people. This place is too big to protect. There are too many blind spots. That's how we were able to—" Enid spoke.

"They got in the walls, but they're gonna die. All of them. Don't tell me good-bye." Carl said.

"Okay. I won't." Enid said

    "We never actually met yet." I smile at Enid. "I'm (Y/n)."

     "Enid." She said.

We hear a boy yell, I get up when Carl does as he ran outside.
I watch as Carl shot at a man chasing a boy, Ron.

    "Shit!" The man screamed in pain holding his leg as he rolled.
Carl walked forward keeping his gun on the man.
I saw the man beg then lung grabbing hold of the gun as Carl tried to shake him off.
I shot the man from the porch, my bullet hit him directly in the forehead and he fell back dead.

    "Come inside." Carl told Ron. "I can keep you safe."

    "No." Ron shook his head.

    "Ron." Carl called as Ron ran away.

    "Carl!" I called and he hurried back inside.

—————

I see Carl looking at the window staring at the body of the man I shot.

    "You okay?" I ask him.

     "Yeah." He said not looking back. "You just killed somebody."

    "Yeah, but he was gonna hurt you." I tell him.

     "I just, haven't seen you do that, without hesitation." Carl said.

     "Carl, I've done lots of things you haven't seen me do, things I'm also not the most proud of. But I was alone, I grew up and I needed to live." I explain.

"I wish we would have found you sooner." Carl told me. "I'm sorry."

"So do I but we still found each other." I smile.

We both hear the sound of a door closing.

    "Enid? Enid?" Carl called but got no response.

I find a white note on floor with three words written on it I give it a quick look then, I pass it over to Carl.

The words were, Just survive somehow

A little timer rings in the kitchen. Carl went over turning it off and opening the oven taking out the food that was in there.

————