28 Isolated

We had to leave, all the kids and old had to be isolated from the rest to protect us from the sickness.
We packed our bags, Carl wasn't the happiest about it but he still had to. We were sent to the Administration building.

Carl and I were walking around making sure everyone was safe and not sick.

———

Carl and I were walking through the halls when we find Hershel walking towards the exit.

"Where are you going?" Carl asked him.

"I'm down here away from y'all 'cause you kids are supposed to stay away from me." Hershel told us as he stopped and looked.

"We've been walking the halls. My Dad told me to look out for everyone." Carl explained to him.

"Well, you should keep your distance." Hershel warned holding his hand out to keep our distance.

"You're walking towards the exit." Carl told him.

"I need to go out there." Hershel insisted.

     "Where?" I wonder.

"To the cell blocks?" Carl guessed.

"To the woods." Hershel answered.

"So you're sneaking out." Carl said.

"Don't need anyone worrying about me and I damn sure don't want someone telling me I can't go." Hershel said.

"I can't let you go out into the woods by yourself." Carl told him.

"Let me?" Hershel questioned.

"I can't stop you. But I have to tell my Dad." Carl said.

"Go ahead, then. I'll be out there by the time you find him." Hershel says unbothered and continues walking to the exit.

"Hershel. If you have to go, then I have to come with you." Carl told him.

   "I'll stay and continue talking watch." I say.

"Carl." Hershel said.

"I have to." Carl said.

    "Don't be long." I tell them shutting the door quietly behind them.

—————

     "So what did Hershel want?" I asked as Carl returns.

     "He got berries to help with the sick." Carl told me.

————

All we did was walk the halls for a couple days unsure when we'd be allowed to leave or what was happening out there.
I wanted to be out there, I wanted to help people.

———

     "Carl? Carl. Carl?" We heard Rick call.

     "You okay?" Carl wondered as we ran out from the hall around a corner finding Rick.

      "I was gonna ask you that." Rick said.

     "We're fine." Carl answered.

     "No one's sick?" Rick asked. "You didn't have to do anything?"

     "No one sick yet." I say.

     "Haven't had to use my gun, Dad." Carl told him.

     "And Judith?" He asked.

    "She's with Beth. Away from the others." I tell him.

     "Good. Found some food on the run." Rick slid over a bag. "There's a bunch of fruit leather in there. Have everybody brush their teeth after."

    "Can we come out soon?" Carl wondered.

     "Not just yet." Rick said stepping back.

     "Dad, I was around you when you were in the middle of it. And we were around Patrick. I didn't get it. I can help you." Carl told him.

     "Thanks, but I need you to stay here." Rick said walking for the door again.

     "I will. But, Dad, you can't keep me from it." Carl said walking forward.

     "From what?" Rick asked.

     "From what always happens." Carl said.

     "Yeah. Maybe. But I think it's my job to try." Rick told him walking out.

—————

It was dark, I was getting tired and planning on falling asleep in the hall when we heard gunshots not from where we were but inside the Prison.

    "You heard that right?" I checked with Carl.

     "Yeah." He nodded.

    "Carl? Carl...?" We then heard Rick call softly. "Carl."
We ran forward finding him with a flashlight.

     "What's going on?" I ask.

     "We heard gunshots." Carl told him.

     "Carl, I need your help." Rick told him. "(Y/n) stay here with the kids."

I nodded as Carl and Rick ran out.

————

I was asleep when Carl came back I was also asleep when he left in the morning.

—————

A couple days had passed.

I was with Carl when we heard a loud explosion shaking the ground. We ran outside quickly to the gate.
There were a couple cars and one tank by the fence. A man was standing on top of the tank.

    "Rick! Come down here." The man known as the Governor called. "We need to talk."

    "It's not up to me." Rick shouted. "There's a council now. They run this place."

     "Hershel on the council?" The Governor asked it confused me why he said that until we saw people pull him out of a car. "What about Michonne? She on the council, too?" Michonne was pulled out and the two were forced to kneel.

     "I don't make decisions anymore." Rick yelled.

     "You're making the decisions today, Rick. Come down here. Let's have that talk." The Governor said.

Having no other choice Rick went down. They talked so we couldn't hear from where we were but we could see.
Daryl handed us guns just in case as we all watched the events unfold.

    "We got to do something." Carl said.

     "Your Dad's got it." Daryl told him.

     "They're talking. We could kill the Governor right now." Carl said.

     "50 yards?" Daryl said.

     "I'm a good shot." Carl told him. "I could end this right now."

     "Yeah, or you could start something else. You got to trust him."

We watched as he took out Michonne's sword and held it to Hershel's neck.
Rick said something and it looked like the Governor was going to let Hershel go but it was a lie. We watched as the sword swung back hitting Hershel's neck and his body fell.
Maggie and Beth screamed.

    "No!" Rick yelled and the gunfire started.

    "Daddy!" Beth cried.
We started shooting gunfire filled the air.
I watched as the tanks rolled from trampling the gate allowing the other cars to drive right it.
Walls were exploding by the tank. Another tank crashed in closer to us.
I was scared so I ran dropping the gun after I ran out of ammo and taking out my pistol, I had to make sure everyone was out. I only had time to check C. When it was clear I ran for the door but was thrown back as the exit exploded. I wasn't harmed but I had to leave.
I ran for the tombs, everything was dark I was getting lost.

I slowed down to think I shouldn't have done it. I felt it before I saw it or heard it. I let out a scream as I felt the cold teeth sinking into my left arm. I came back to reality and pulled my gun up, my ears wrung as the Walker fell. Groans grew behind my, I couldn't stay.
I was scared, I was in pain, my head was spinning the only thing I could get through my mind was run, it doesn't matter where just run.