42 The Hilltop

"Balloons? You going to a party little girl?" A Savior asked Enid.

    "Can I keep them, please?" Enid asked. "It's just... let me keep them."

    "Say please again, little girl." The Savior asked again.

    "Please." Enid said.

    "Yeah. One more time." He dragged his finger down her cheek.

   "Please." Enid said sharply.
The Savior dropped the green balloons on the ground.
    "Be careful, little girl." The Savior told her.

    "They'll be gone soon." Rick told us as we watched from the sidewalk.
Four Saviors were standing in front of her, all I wanted to do was shoot them in the heads.

    "What you got for me, Rick?" Negan asked. "Well
Would you look at that? They were here after all. Funny how a little 'holy shit! Somebody's gonna die!' Lights a fire under everybody's ass! So, tell me, Rick— which one of your fine folks almost cost Olivia the rest of her days?"

    "It doesn't matter anymore." Rick told him.

    "No, it matters. See, you need to get everybody on board. Everybody. Or... we just got right back to square one." Negan said.

—————

They took a lot more than half, all out guns and most of our matrices, I still had mine, I offered it to Carl but he refused.
Rick and Aaron went off to hunt supplies and stuff for Negan next time he comes, so they would be gone for a couple days.

We found Enid at the wall about too climb over.

"Enid." Carl said catching her attention.

"I need to see Maggie." Enid told us not turning around.

"You're walking to the Hilltop?" I question.

"It's far." Carl said.

"I'll be fine." Enid said climbing up.

"Maybe." Carl spoke.

"I'll be fine." Enid raised her voice. "I have better aim than you. I didn't mean it that way."

"I'm not saving you anymore." Carl told her.

"That's what happened before? You saved me?" Enid wondered.

"Yeah." I say.

"You both made it back in one piece. You two are still here." Enid said.

"I'm not talking about that." Carl looked down.

"I'm sorry you two had to see it." Enid apologized.

"I'm not." Carl shook his head.

————

"Carl, you better not kill me." I smile as we get in a red car after climbing the wall.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Carl asks.

"I mean we both haven't been taught to drive." I tell him.

"It can't be that hard." Carl smiled shutting the door as he got in the driver seat and I sat beside him.

———

In the distance we saw Enid with a Walker in front of her.

    "Do speed up." I tell him as he heads straight toward the Walker.
We hit, it, blood covers the glass as the Walker rolls over the car before we crash into some pipes.

    "It's not dead." I say as I look behind us at the Walker.
The tires squeal as the car is put in reverse squishing the Walker into the wall.
Carl rolls down the window as Enid looks at the car.

    "What are you two doing here?" She asked.

     "Felt like a drive." Carl smiled.

      "He nearly killed me." I say.

—————

     "Not sorry you saw it?" Enid asked as we walked on the road.

    "Yeah." Carl said. "I watched it. (Y/n), watched it. Both times. We didn't look away."

    "Why?" Enid wondered.

     "Because, when it was happening, I knew that I needed to remember it. So when I had the chance to kill him, I wouldn't have a choice." Carl told her.

    "I think I'd kill him, too." Enid admitted. "It's messed up, but... that's how it is. You do things for the ones you love. Loved."

    "It's not for them." Carl said.

     "I'm sorry we lied to you, and left without you." I apologize.

    "I didn't need to see it. We don't even know if she's okay." Enid said.

    "She's strong, we'll get there." I say.

     "Yeah." Enid said.

————

I look back to see Carl stopped at the side of the road.

     "(Y/n), Enid. Stop." Carl said looking up.
There were four pairs of roller skates, we only used three.

I smiled as Carl grabbed onto my arm to stop him from falling. I help stabilize him. He interlocks his fingers with mine as we skate together. I look into his blue eye and everything in that moment seemed perfect.
Enid looked back at us laughing.

—————

We walk through the trees making it to the Hilltop, but there were trunks, Savior trunks.

     "I don't think Negan's here. I don't see that black truck." Carl said.

    "You two weren't talking a drive. You weren't coming to get me." Enid realized.

     "We can't let them get away with this." Carl told her. "You know I can't."

    "I know." Enid said.

    "Come with us." I say. "You want to kill them, too. We can do it."

    "Uh—" Enid sighs. "You said it, Carl. It'd be for us. Not for Abraham, not for Glenn. Not for Maggie. You're doing it for you, both of you are."

    "Yeah." Carl breathed.

    "So if it all goes right... and you do it... how do you two get away?" Enid asked.

    "It wouldn't matter." I tell her.

     "It would to me, it would to Rick, Michonne, Judith, Maggie, everyone." Enid said. "Please, don't go. Just come with me. You can't make it."

    "We're just gonna go home." Carl told her.

    "You're lying." Enid accused.

    "No, I'm not." Carl claimed.

     "You two shouldn't go. But I know I can't stop you." Enid started towards the Hilltop.

     "They'll see you." I say.

    "No. They won't." Enid answered turning away.

     "Are you sure you want to do this?" Carl asked me.

My forehead touches his.

    "This is crazy, dangerous and stupid, but I'll never let you go alone." I told him.
I felt Carl's lips on my forehead, I look up at him and move my lips closer to his. The kiss didn't last long but it felt right.

————

We snuck into the back of a truck that had blinds.
We heard someone enter. We peeked out to see Jesus emptying a bottle of whiskey out the back of the truck.

   "Hey." Carl said stepping out.