56 I'm Sorry

A week had passed, and we were ready to attack, everything was planned out and ready.

"So you found a guy?" I asked Carl as we walked through the street of Alexandria.

"Yeah. He was hungry, and needed help." Carl said.

"How do you know you can trust him? What did he say?" I wonder.

"He said he's been shot a before someone, a microwave has been thrown at him. Then said something about hope and kindness, he told me his Mom used to say that. Dad shot at him before I could help." Carl told me.

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"My Dad shot above his head to scare him off." Carl said.

"I think we should help him. We can leave some food and water out and maybe if we see him he can come back." I suggested. "Are you going to fight?"

"No, I'm needed here." Carl told me. "Are you still going?"

"No. I'd rather stay here." I smile giving him a kiss. "Go say bye to your Dad."

————

We drove out stopping by an old gas station filled with cars. Carl and I walked over. He swung the bag off his shoulder and pulled out three cans of food and a little note saying sorry before we left.

"I hope he finds it." I say.

"I think he will." Carl said as we walked back to the car.

We kept coming back day after day. Rick hadn't returned the fight was still on.

———

"He's been taking the food." I say.

"I'm gonna go look for him." Carl said.

"Be safe. I'll wait here in case he comes. Don't be long." I say.
Carl gave me a kiss before leaving into the woods.

I sat down on the hood of a car, it was peaceful, I could hear the birds and the breeze felt nice.

I just had a feeling that something wasn't right that it wasn't safe. I decided to go look for Carl. I listen to the leaves crunch under my feet after every step.

"Carl." I called out and got no response. It wasn't long before a came upon a Walker, it was impaled through the chest by one of the many wooden spears sticking out of the ground by a tree. The guy must have made it.

I continued through the forest I stopped when I heard the growls and groans of Walkers.

"Just go! You don't have to do this!" I heard someone say. I rushed forward knife in hand. My eyes instantly fall on Carl who lay on the ground struggling to push a Walker off as others approached.

I hurry forward stabbing two Walkers heading towards Carl before reaching him and pulling the Walker off of him. I lost my footing and my back hit the ground now I had the Walker on top of me. It's nails dug into my flesh on my shoulder. There was a bang and the Walker was thrown off of me. I look up to see Carl.

"You okay?" Carl asked pulling me into a hug.

"Yeah, just a few scratches nothing that will kill me." I say and look Carl up and down, his shirt was drenched in blood.

"Is not mine." Clearly Carl noticed my concerned look. He looks behind him showing a dear with a giant hole where the Walkers must've been feasting it was also the spot where Carl lay.

   "Are you two okay?" I turn around and for the first time and notice a man who was also fighting the Walkers. "Oh, this is Siddiq. The guy we've been helping."

    "I'm (Y/n)." I smile before turning back to Carl. "I'm never letting you go in the world by yourself again."

    "You could've left. Carl." Siddiq said to Carl.

After a long silence Carl turned to Siddiq. "We're responsible for you now. That's how it works."

    "I don't want to make any trouble. Your Dad didn't want anything to do with me." Siddiq spoke.

    "He didn't, but... sometimes kids have to find their own way to show their parents the way." Carl told Siddiq and started walking off.

    "You're coming with us." I tell Siddiq when I look back to see him still standing there.

————

We bring Siddiq back. We drag off the man hole cover and lead him into the sewer, it was a good was in and out of Alexandria.

   "It's just 'til I can talk to my Dad." Carl told Siddiq getting in the sewer first, than Siddiq and last me.

———

   "(Y/n) I'm fine." Carl assured me as he stood in front of the mirror and I sat on the bathtub looking at him.

    "I just want to make sure. Even if you just got a small cut from a rock or stick, you were laying in a lot of blood, dear and Walker blood it could easily get infected." I explained standing up. "I already cleaned and bandaged mine."

     "I didn't mean for it to happen." Carl said.

     "For what to happen? Carl?" I ask.

"I know I should have been more careful." I looked down.
Before I could ask him any more questions he took off his hat and pulled the blood stained blue shirt over his head and tossed it to the ground.

My head was spinning and the world seemed to stop. The colour drained from my face and a few tears fell from my eyes as I looked at the wound. It wasn't deep, the now dried blood had run down his stomach and the new blood followed the same path. The main wound wasn't scabbed over yet but that wouldn't have made a difference.

    "N-no no no." I gasped not able to say anything else yet.

    "I'm sorry." I felt his arms wrap around me as more tears fell.

"I can't lose you, not again." I sob.

"I'm sorry." Carl said again with a broken voice.