24 Govoner Attacks

"Now you said you found Tyreese's group here?" Glenn checked as he drew a chalk layout of the Prison on the ground.

     "Yeah." Carl agreed.

      "We secured this." Glenn said.

     "He thought he came through here." I point.

     "Means there's another breach." Glenn said. "Okay. The whole front of the Prison is unsecure. If Walkers just strolled in, then it's going to be cake for a group of armed men."

     "Why are we even so sure he's going to attack?" Beth wondered. "Maybe you scared him off."

     "He had fish tanks full of heads." Michonne said. "Walkers and humans. Trophies. He's coming."

"We should hit him now." Glenn suggested.

"What?" Beth asked.

"He won't be expecting it. We'll sneak back in and put a bullet in his head." Glenn said.

"We're not assassins." Michonne told him.

"You know where his apartment is. You and I could end this tonight. I'll do it myself." Glenn told Michonne now standing in front of her. "Okay." He stepped back.

"He didn't know you were coming last time and look what happened." Hershel said. "You were almost killed. Daryl was captured. And you and Maggie were almost executed."

"You can't stop me." Glenn told him.

"Rick would never allow this." Hershel said.

"You really think he's in any position to make that choice?" Glenn questioned.

"Think this thought clearly. T-Dog lost his life here. Lori, too. The men that were here. It isn't worth any more killing. What are we waiting for? If he's really on his way, we should be out of here by now." Hershel said.

"And go where?" Glenn asked him.

"We lived on the road all winter." Hershel told him.

"Back when you had two legs and we didn't have a baby crying for Walkers every four hours." Glenn said.

"We can't stay here." Hershel told him.

"We can't run." Glenn said, then Maggie walked out. "All right. We'll stay put. We're gonna defend this place. We're making a stand. Carl, you and I will go down to the tombs. We need to figure out where the breach is."

"You got it." Carl agreed.

"You'll need some help." Michonne said.

"No, in case anything happens, I need you out here." Glenn told her. "Who's on watch? Damn it."

—————

"The tombs outside the boiler room are overrun again." Glenn announced coming back with Carl.

"That whole section had been cleared." Beth said.

"It's a steady stream of Walkers." Carl said.

"We're wasting time. The Governor is supposedly on the way and we're stuck in here with Walkers." Hershel said.

"Trapped between a rock and a hard place." Carol added.

"For the last time, running is not an option." Glenn said.

"Glenn if the tombs have filled up again, it may be a matter of time before they push in here." Carol told him.

"Or until the fence gives way." Beth spoke.

"What if one of them herds is passing through?" Axel wondered. "Or settled."

"Can't handle that was just a few of us." Carol said.

"Okay. All right, we need— we just need to scout the far side of the Prison. Find out what's going on." Glenn decided.

"You're going out there?" Hershel asked.

"Take a car and make it quick." Glenn explained.

"I'll drive." Axel offered.

"No, you stay here. And help with the fortifications. I'll take Maggie." Glenn said.

"You sure she's up to that?" Hershel asked and Glenn left.

———————

It was a beautiful sunny day. Carol was talking to Axel as Carl me and Beth were together. Rick was for some reason outside of the fence talking to Hershel who was inside the fence.

But the days joy ended with a single gunshot. I saw red come from Axel head stopping him in mid sentence and he dropped down. Carl pulled Beth and me down as Carol was behind Axel's body.

There was a moment before gunfire filled the air. Beth, Carl and I ran behind a bench as someone in the watchtower fired at us. Carl took out his pistol firing shots up at the man. We ran from the bench to behind a concrete wall, closer to the watchtower. I looked down a Carol who lay on the ground forced to use Axels corpse as a shield from the rain of bullets.

Silence filled the air for a moment but was broken when Maggie came running out with guns.

"Beth!" She called.
Beth ran over taking two guns from Maggie before running back to us and the gunfire resumed. "Carol go!"

Carol got up and ran towards the wall where we were talking one of the guns from Beth as she arrived.

It stopped again when we heard an engine approaching. I looked as a truck came speeding towards the Prison not slowing down and crashing straight through the gate rolling into the field and stoped. After a couple minutes the back opened and Walkers came spilling out.
Final the guy in the watchtower was shot dead but we still had a large threat.
We opened our gate Beth, Maggie, Carl, Carol and I ran out into the field shooting at the Walkers to help Hershel and Michonne get back.

I watch as a pickup truck drove in stopping by Hershel allowing him to enter with the help of the driver Glenn and Michonne who was already in the field. We came back inside as the truck drove in shutting the gate behind us. We look out at the yard that we worked so hard to clear and was now full of Walkers.