15 Sophia

"These things ain't sick. They're not people." Shane shouted. I kept my distance seeing that both Rick and Hershel held poles with Walkers on the end of them. "They're dead. Ain't gonna feel nothing for them cause all they do, they kill! These things right here, they're the things that killed Amy. They killed Otis. They're gonna kill all of us! Hey, Hershel man, let me ask you something. Could a living breathing person, could they walk away from this?" Shane took out his gun firing three shots at the Walker Hershel had and it hardly made a difference to the creature.

"No!" Rick shouted. "Stop it!"

"That's three rounds in the chest. Could someone who's alive, could they just take that?! Why is it still coming?" Shane shot three more. "That's its heart, it's lungs. Why is it still coming?" He shot two more.

"Shane, enough." Rick yelled.

"Yeah, you're right, man. That is enough." Shane said walking forward before shooting once more in the head finally knocking it down. "ENOUGH RISKING OUR LIVES FOR A LITTLE GIRL WHO'S GONE!" I walk over to Carol holding her hand both because I was scared of the Walkers and I felt bad for her. "ENOUGH LIVING NEXT TO A FULL OF THINGS THAT ARE TRYING TO KILL US! ENOUGH! Rick, it Ain't Like it Was before. NOW, IF Y'ALL WANT TO LIVE, IF YOU WANT TO SURVIVE, YOU GOT TO FIGHT FOR IT! I'M TAKING ABOUT FIGHTING RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW." Shane ran to the barn door.

"Hershel, take the snare pole. Hershel, listen to me, man, please." Rick begged desperate to stop Shane. "Take it now. Hershel! Take it!" I watched as Shane pounded the lock over and over again with a pick ax. "No, Shane. Do not do this, brother. Wait!"

Shane finally forced the lock off.

    "Don't do it!" Glenn yelled.

     "RICK!" Lori screamed.

     "PLEASE!" Rick yelled but Shane didn't listen as he threw off the board.

    "Come on. Come on , We're out here." Shane pounded the door.

     "This is not the way! Please!" Rick begged.

      "Come here sweetie." Carol said kneeling down and hugging me as the Walkers left. "Don't look."

Gunfire filled the air it seemed to last forever. Finall it came to an end and the air was silent. I opened my eyes and saw all the bodies. The Walkers never made it far out to door before they were put down. Then there was another growl and the sound of feet shuffling. I looked to the door and my breath stopped.

     "No." I mumbled. The Walker had on mud covered tan pants rolled up just before the knees, a blood stained once blue shirt with a rainbow that was too big, short knotted blonde hair and an unmissable bite on her shoulder, Sophia had been found.

    "Oh god, Sophia? Sophia!" Carol cried running forward to what was once her Daughter. "Oh no. Sophia." Daryl grabbed Carol preventing her from reaching Sophia.

I felt tears rolling down my cheeks as I crashed to my knees watching her limp over the other bodies, dragging her feet behind her. I shut my eyes tightly as the sound of a single gunshot echoed through my head.

—————

There was a funeral for her, as well as Maggie's step Brother and step Mother/ Hershel's wife. It wasn't much but it was something, still she deserved more, she deserved so much more.

——————Night————————————

We sat quietly round the table.

"They should've been back by now." Andrea said walking in with Shane.

"They just got holed up somewhere. We'll— we'll head out first thing in the morning." Shane said. "Thank you. Carl, I want you to keep your head up, okay? Your old man, he's the toughest son of a—"

"No cussing in the house." Patricia interrupted.

    "Sorry." Shane apologized.

"Lori, dinner." Carol called.

"She's not in there." Carl said.

"Where is she?" Dale asked.

"Carl, when was the last time you saw your Mom?" Shane asked him.

"This afternoon." Carl answered.

"She was worried about Rick, asked me to look in on Carl." Andrea said.

"She went after them?" Dale wondered.

"She didn't say that." Andrea said.

"Nobody panic. Gonna be around here somewhere." Shane said getting up, followed by Carl, then me and after everyone.

—————

"She's not at the barn." Shane said.

"I checked the yards." T-Dog said.

"Well, where is she?" Carl asked.

"She asked Daryl to go into town." Carol said coming over. "Must've gone herself."

Carl whimpers holding his hand over his mouth as he ran off to the house.
"Carl." Andrea called. I ran after him.

———————

"Carl, your Mom's back." I call and we both run outside.

"Look, I had to get you back here." We heard Shane say.

"You asshole." Lori told him.

"Lori." Shane said.

"He's my husband." Lori shoved him.

"Lori, I will go after him. I will find him. Hey! Now look, first things first— I gotta— I gotta look after you. I gotta make sure the baby's all right, okay?" Shane said.

"You're having a baby?" Carl asked stepping out. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"I-I— I." Lori stuttered.

"Come on. Let's make sure you're all right." Dale said breaking the silence. And we went into the house.

———

Carl sat beside Lori and I sat beside Carl on the couch as Dale and Andrea sat in the two chairs.

"Hey. I am so sorry that I left without telling you." Lori apologized.

"It's okay." Carl said. "I wasn't scared. When's Dad getting back?"

"Let's hope soon." Lori told him.

"I wanna be there when you tell him about the baby." Carl said.

"Oh, love, he already knows. We were just trying to find the right time to tell you." Lori said.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Carl wondered.

"Well, we won't know that until it's born." Lori smiled.

"I hope it's a girl." I say.

"Will I be able to feel it?" Carl asks.

"Not for a while. You must have a lot of questions, huh? We never had the talk." I head Lori whisper. "I guess we forgot."

Carl looks to Dale for help.

"Don't look at me. That's your Father's job." Dale said.

"If the baby's a girl, can we name her Sophia?" Carl asked.

"Hey, dude." Shane said standing in the doorway. "Hey, I'm sorry, bud. Okay? I thought you knew."

"Big brother Carl. Pretty cool, huh?" Carl smiled as I giggle.

"I say that's very cool." Shane told him. "You— you mind if I talk to your Mom a sec?"

"How about a little later after she's had some rest?" Andrea said.

"Lori, I had to get you back here. You wouldn't have come otherwise." Shane continued any way. "How about you— how about you just hear me out, please? It's okay."

"Give me a minute." Lori told Carl and I. We both got up and left with Andrea and Dale behind us.