45 Iron

"Yeah. You mowed down two of my man with a machine gun. I want something in return for that. Sing me a song." Negan told Carl.

    "I... I— I can't think of any." Carl looked down.

     "Bullshit! What'd your Mom used to sing you? What'd your Dad play in the car?" Negan stood up. "Start singing."

    "Okay, okay. Okay. Uh... You are my sunshine." Carl started.

     "Go on." Negan said.

     "My only sunshine, You make me happy, When skies are gray." Carl sung as Negan swung his bat in the background.

    "Do not let me distract you, young man." Negan told him.

    "You'll... never know... dear, How much I love you So... Please don't take My... sunshine away." Carl's voice shook.

    "That's pretty good." Negan sat back down. "Lucille loves being sung to. It's about the only thing she loves more than bashing in brains. Weird, huh? Did your Mother sing that to you? Where is she now?" Carl shook his head and sniffed. "Damn. Dead, huh? You see it happen?"

    "I shot her..." Carl sniffed. "Before it could..."

     "Damn, no wonder you're a little serial killer in the making. That was an example of breaking balls, by the way." Negan told him. "Come on, kids. Get up. It should be ready."

     "What should be ready?" Carl asked.

     "The iron." Negan answered.

—————

Negan clanged Lucille against the metal railing as we walked. Everyone below got down to their knees.

     "Hold that for me." Negan held on Lucille giving it to Negan. "You know the deal. What's about to happen is going to be hard to watch. I don't want to do it. I wish I could just ignore the rules and let it slide, but I can't. Why?"

   "The rules keep us alive." Everyone below said.

    "That...is...right." Negan said, as we followed him down the stairs. "We survive. We provide security to others. We bring civilization back to this world. We are the Saviors. But we can't do that without rules. Rules are what make it all work. I know it's not easy. But there's always work. There is always a cost. Here, if you try to skirt it, if you try to cut that corner... then it is the iron for you. On your feet." Everyone got up.
We walked to the centre of the people where there was one man tied to a chair in front of a fire place. "D..."

Dwight went to the fire as Negan put on gloves. Dwight used a hook taking out a metal iron with the bottom red from the heat. Negan took the iron and walked to the man in the chair.

    "Mark... I'm sorry. But it is what it is." Negan said.

I grabbed Carl's hand as Negan pressed the hot iron to the side of his face. The pained screams filled the room until the man passed out and the iron was pulled off with skin sticking to it like melted cheese.

    "Ah, that wasn't so bad, now, was it?" Negan chuckled handing the iron over to Dwight. "Jesus. He pissed himself." Negan walked up to Daryl. "Clean that up."
Daryl looked over at Carl and me before focusing on the floor. "Doc, I'm all done. Do your thing. Well, the pussy passed out. But it's settled— we're square. Everything is cool. Let Mark's face be a daily reminder to him and to everyone else that the rules matter. I hope that we all learned something today, because I don't ever... want to have to do that again." Negan walked over to the two of us. "Some crazy shit, huh? You two probably think I'm a lunatic. Come on. Let's go figure out what to do with you two." Negan walked us out.

————

"Can I wrap up my face now?" Carl wondered as we sat in front of Negan, back in his room as he was writing on paper.

"No, you absolutely cannot." Negan told him.

"Why the hell not?!" Carl asked.

"Look at this badass. You can't because I'm not done with you, or your girlfriend." Negan chuckled.

"I have a name." I say annoyed.

"Don't care." He smiled continuing what he was saying. "And I like looking at your disgusting, rad-ass, badass eye, so it's staying out. Same goes for you with those gross as hell, freak bites. What? You got something to say?" Negan asked Carl.

"Why haven't you killed me? Or (Y/n) or my Dad or Daryl?" Carl asked.

"Daryl... is gonna make a good soldier for me. You see, he thinks he's holding it together... but you saw it. Your Dad? He's already getting me great stuff. You, and your girlfriend on the other hand... well, we shall see. It's more productive to break you. more fun, too. You thinking that stupid?" Negan explained.

"I'm thinking we're different." Carl said.

Negan sat up, "Mm. You're a smart kid. What do you think I should do? You know I can't let you go. So, do I kill you? Iron your face? Chop off your arm? Make you watch, or even better do those things yourself to your girl? Tell me. what do you think?"

"I think you should jump out the window to save me the trouble of killing you." Carl stood up.

"Oh!" Negan chuckled with a large smile. "Now, there is the kids that impress the hell out of me."

"I think you're not saying what you're gonna do to us because you're not going to do anything. If you knew us, if you knew anything, you would kill us. But you can't." Carl told him.

"Hoo. Maybe you're right. Maybe I can't. Let's go for a ride, kids." Negan stood up.

—————

We got in a truck, I was squished between Carl and Negan.

"Daryl!" Negan called, I saw Daryl walk up to the window. "You seem worried, so I'm taking the kids home."

"If you do anything to them—" Daryl said.

"Dwight!" Negan interrupted. "Daryl needs a time-out. Put him back in his box for a while.