9 Cars

We repacked the cars this time heading to Benning, 120 miles, leaving Atlanta for the last time.

"Just thinking about our trip to the Grand Canyon with Carl." Lori said.

"I don't remember that." Carl said.

"No, you wouldn't. You were just a baby. Besides, we never made it past Fort Worth." Lori told him.

"No, you got sick. I never knew a baby could throw up so much." Rick laughed.

"Ick." Carl said.

"Yeah, ick. The doctor in Texas said you'd live. Then we turned around and drove home." Lori smiled.

"That sucks." Carl said.

"No, it was a good trip." Lori told him.

"The best." Rick agreed.

"Can we go see it? The Grand Canyon?" Carl asked. "I'd like to."

"I would too." Sophia agreed. "Can we go?"

"It sounds fun." I smile.

"We'd never go without you and your Mom. That's a promise." Rick told Sophia.

The car began to slow down, I looked out the window to see many cars, abandoned blocking the road for a long while.

Slowly we followed the caravan through the blockade.

Many doors were still wide open from the fleeing people.
After getting a good way in there was a loud clank as the caravan stopped.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"I'm not sure." Rick said stepping out of the car with us following behind.

"I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times. Dead in the water." Dale said.

"Problem, Dale?" Rick asked.

"Just a small matter of being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of— okay, that was dumb." Dale spoke.

"If you can't find a radiator hose here... there's a whole bunch of stuff we can find." Daryl said digging through an open trunk.

"I can siphon more fuel from these cars for a start." T-Dog said.

"Maybe some water." Carol added.

"Or food." Glenn said.

"This is a graveyard." Lori spoke, we all turned to her. "I don't know how I feel about this."

"All right, all right, here we go. Come on, y'all. Just look around, gather what you can." T-Dog instructed.

I kept close to Carl and Lori as we walked through the cars.

"Kids, don't look." Carol suggested as we walked by a car with open windows and fly's buzzing.

"Hey, Carl." Lori called. "Always within my sight, okay?"

"You too, Sophia, and (Y/n)." Carol added as the two looked through trunks.
We both nodded as we wandered.
"Carl look at this." I smile taking out an ax that I found in the back of a pickup truck.

"Cool." He smiled.

"Lori, under the cars." I heard Rick whisper yell. "Carl, Sophia, (Y/n), get down now."
I dropped the ax with a clatter before I rushed forward crawling under a grey car that was in front of the car Carl was under.
I looked back at the other and saw the tariffing sight of feet limping toward us passing the the cars.

I pressed my hand over my mouth hoping that I wouldn't make a noise, fearing that they would hear my heart smell my breath and it was only a matter of time before their cold hungry eyes locked down on me. Dragging me out and ripping me apart before anyone could do anything.
The groans and growls grew as the Walkers limped past. I held my breath to scare to breathe to loud, pressing my body against the concrete.

I watched the last set of feet stumble by, waiting for more to follow but none came. I let out a sigh feeling the danger has passed.
I looked down to Sophia and Carl smiling. Sophia was the first to move making her way out from under the car. My eyes grew wide as a Walker lay down on the ground looking at the sobbing Sophia. Her screams and cries filled my ears as she desperately crawled out the other side to escape the Walker. Without a single thought Rick followed Sophia.

    "Lori there's two Walkers are after my baby." Carol cried running to the edge with Carl and me beside them.

——————Later———————————————

I helped Carl and Lori collect more stuff as Rick, Daryl, and Shane were looking for Sophia.

"We're not going anywhere till my Daughter gets back." Carol told Dale.

"Hey, that goes without saying." Lori told her.

"Rick and Daryl, they're on it, okay?" Shane said. "Just a matter of time."

"Can't be soon enough for me." Andrea said, "I'm still freaked out from that herd that passed us by, or whatever you'd call it."

"Yeah, what was that? All them just marching along like that." Glenn asked.

"A herd. That sounds about right." Shane agreed. "We've seen it. It's like the night camp got attacked. Some wandering pack, only fewer. Okay. Come on, people. We still got a lot to do. Let's stay on it. Let's go, come on."

——————Later———————————————

"Carl? What you doing?" I ask as he looks through a truck window. I followed him as he walked around to the drivers side.

    "I found something." Carl smiled as he pulled the door open and a limp arm swung down.

    "Are you sure about this?" I ask looked at the corpse.

     "You'll see." He said stepping forward and reaching in.

     "Be careful." I tell him as he tries to pull something out.

    "Don't worry, (Y/n)." He said stepping up so he could reach the thing.

    "Carl? I'm not sure about this." I say worried.

    "I've almost got it." He grunted.

He let out a shriek as he came tumbling down hitting the warm pavement.

    "Carl!" I say rushing to him, "What happened?"

    "Nothing, I just knocked him." Carl said looking up at the corpse. I then looked to the long letter roll he now held. "There's a hatchet, look." He rolled it opened. It had many knives and weapons. "Come on, let's go show Shane."

Carl picked it up as we ran to where Shane was.

    "Shane." Carl called as we ran to him.

    "Carl, (Y/n), what happened?" Lori asked worried as she ran towards us.

    "Mom. We found some cool." Carl said placing it down in front of Shane. "Shane, check it out. It's an arsenal." Carl opened it.

   "That's cool, Bud. Go give 'em to Dale." Shane said hardly sparing a glance.

    "Check this out out." Carl said excitedly pulling out the hatchet. "Whoa, it's a hatchet."

    "Be careful. Don't play with those." Lori warned.

    "They're really sharp." Carl smiled.

    "What did I just say?" Lori said.

    "Can we keep one?" Carl asked.

    "Are you crazy?" Lori said taking the hatchet and putting it back.

    "No way." Carl said disappointed. "Shane. Shane, tell her to let me keep one."

   "Hey, go give them all to Dale now, you two. Go." Shane said.
Carl grabbed it and we both walked to Dale.