50 We're The Ones Who Live

We stayed the night and we led back to the Ezekiel in the morning.

"This is life here. Every day." Ezekiel said looking back at two kids learning how to shoot with a bow. "But it came at a cost. And I wanted more of this." Ezekiel turned to face us. "I wanted to expand. To create more places like this. Men and women lost their limbs. Children lost their parents because I sent them into battle against the wasted when I did not need to."

"This is different." Rick walked closer.

"It isn't." Ezekiel disagreed.

"It is. The dead don't rule us. The world doesn't look like this outside your walls. People don't have it as good. Some people don't have it good at all." Rick told him.

"I have to worry about my people." Ezekiel said.

"You call yourself a damn King. You sure as hell don't act like one." Daryl told him.

"All of this... came at a cost." Ezekiel walked up to Daryl. "It was lives, arms, legs." He walked back over to Rick. "The peace we have with the Saviors is uneasy, but it is peace. I have to hold on to it. I have to try. Although the Kingdom cannot grant you the aid you desire, the King is sympathetic to your plight. I offer our Daryl asylum for as long as he requires it. He will be safe here. The Saviors do not set foot inside our walls."

"How long do you think that's gonna last?" Daryl asked and walked away soon followed by Rick, Michonne and then the rest of us.

We walked to the gate.

"All right, open it up. We're gone." Daryl said, the gates opened and we started out.

"You're not." I hear Rick tell Daryl.

"I'm not staying here." Daryl said.

"You have to." Was the last thing I heard Rick say before he was out of ear rage.

———

"For anyone out there who loved the obese bastard as much as I did, I just want to say a few words. Fat Joey was not the most badass son of a bitch, but he was loyal. He had a great sense of humour. In fact, we were just joking about oral sex with Lucille the other day. Things will not be the same now that he's dead. Without Fat Joey, Skinny Joey is just Joey." We listen to Negan say over the walkie-talkie. "So it's a goddamn tragedy. So, let's have a moment of silence."

Rick was driving us along the road close to the Saviors place back to Alexandria. I sat in the middle in the middle seat between Jesus and Carl, Michonne sat in the front beside Rick and Rosita and Sasha sat in the very back. On the road there was a large road block of cars purposely put there.

"Someone's trying to block the way. Gotta be the Saviors." Jesus said.

"Look." Carl pointed out the window. "I think that's their bace over there." Far in the distance over the trees was a tall grey building.

"Yeah, that's it. Must be trying to make it hard to get to them." Jesus said.

"We gotta keep going. We'll move them, and then we'll move them back. They don't need to know we were here." Rick told us and we all got out of the car.

Carefully they moved the cars out of the way.

    "Rick." Michonne called as she held binoculars. "Come take a look at this." Carl, I and Rick walked over to her.

There was a metal cord going from one car to the other both cars at the edges of the road, with explosives tied to the cord.

    "What's all this for?" Michonne wondered.