3 Life

"So you and Daryl, that's your big plan?" Lori asked. Carl and I sat with her as she was preparing the squirrels.

"Oh, come on." Glenn groaned as Rick looked at him.

"You know the way. You've been there before— in and out, no problem. You said so yourself. It's not fair of me to ask— I know that— but I'd feel a lot better with you Along. I know she would too." Rick told him.

"That's just great. Now you're gonna risk three men, huh?" Shane said.

"Four." T-Dog stepped up.

"My day just gets better and better, don't it?" Daryl said sarcastically.

"You see anybody else here stepping up to save your Brother's cracker ass?" T-Dog said.

"Why you?" Daryl asked him.

"You wouldn't even begin to understand. You don't speak my language." T-Dog answered.

"That's four." Dale said.

"It's not just four. Your putting every single one of us at risk. Just know that, Rick. Come on, you saw that Walker. It was here. It was in camp. They're moving out of the cities. They come back, we need every able body we've got. We need 'em here. We need 'em to protect the camp." Shane said.

"It seems to me what you really need most here are more guns." Rick told him.

"Right, the guns." Glenn remembered.

"Wait. What guns?" Shane asked.

"Six shotguns, two high-powered rifles, over a dozen handguns. I cleaned out the cage back at the station before I left. I dropped the bag in Atlanta when I got swarmed. It's just sitting there on the street, waiting to be picked up." Rick explained.

"Ammo?"

"700 rounds, assorted." Rick answered Shane.

"You went through hell to find us. You just got here and you're gonna turn around and leave?" Lori asked.

"Dad, I- I don't want you to go." Carl said.

"To hell with the guns. Shane is right. Merle Dixon? He's not worth one of your lives, even with guns thrown in." Lori stood up. "Tell me. Make me understand."

"I owe a debt to a man I met and his little boy. Lori, if they hadn't taken me in, I'd have died. It's because of them that I made it back to you at all. They said they'd follow me to Atlanta. They'll walk into the same trap I did if I don't warn him." Rick explained.

"What's stopping you? The walkie-talkie, the one in the bag I dropped. He's got the other one. Our plan was to connect when they got closer."

"These are our walkies?" Shane asked.

"Yeah."

"So use the C.B.. what's wrong with that?" Andrea asked.

    "The C.B.'s fine. It's the walkies that suck to crap— date back to the '70s, don't match any other bandwidth— not even scanners in our cars." Shane said.

   "I need that bag." Rick told his Wife before kneeling in front of Carl. "Okay?"

   "All right." Carl nodded.

———————Later———————————————

I was down in the Quarry by the lakes, I went down with Carl and Shane but they were going to catch frogs, I didn't really like frogs. I looked over and decided to walk over to the ladies washing the clothes.

    "Can I help?" I ask.

     "Why would you want to do that?" Amy asked looking at me.

"They're catching frogs and frogs are slimy. So can I help you?" I ask the girls.

   "Well of course you can help, you can go put the clean clothes on the side of the boat to dry." Carol said handing me a shirt. I happily ran off laying it on the boat. And ran back sitting with Carol, Amy, Andrea, and Jacqui waiting as they washed.

I look up as Shane is splashing around in the water as Carl attempts to catch frogs.

"Can someone explain to me how the woman wound up doing all the hattie McDaniel work?" Jacqui asked.

"The world ended. Didn't you get the memo?" Amy answered.

"It's just the way it is." Carol said as she and Amy handed me their washed clothes.

"I do miss my Maytag." Amy said.

"I miss my Benz, my sat nav." Andrea said.

"I miss my coffeemaker with that dual-drip filter and built-in grinder, honey." Jacqui described.

"My computer... and texting." Amy sighed.

"(Y/n), here you are." Andrea said handing me a shirt.

"Me too." I heard Carol say as I came back and the woman erupted in laughter.

"What did I miss?" I ask confused.

"Oh nothing Sweetie." Jacqui says in between laughter.

"What's so funny?" Ed asked as he walked towards the group.

"Just swapping war stories, Ed." Andrea told him. "Yeah."

But he didn't leave and instead just watched everyone with an annoyed look.

"Problem, Ed?" Andrea questioned.

"Nothing' that concerns you." He answered, "And you ought to focus on your work. This ain't no comedy club."

"(Y/n)!" I heard Carl call as I spotted him on the road.

"Run along, Sweetheart." Jacqui told me kindly.

I smiled and ran off leaving the girls to join Carl and his Mom.

————————Later———————————————

Carl and I watched as Amy and Andrea came back from the lake with dozens of fish.

"Ladies ... because of you my children will eat tonight." Morales smiles talking the fish. "Thank you."

   "Thank Dale. It's his canoe and gear." Andrea said.

   "Mom, (Y/n), look. Look at all the fish." Carl says.

    "Whoa." I say as Carl pokes them.

   "Yeah, whoa. Where did you two learn to do that?" Lori asked impressed.

    "Our Dad." Amy smiled.

    "Can you teach me how to do that?" Carl asked.

    "And me?" I add.

   "Sure. I'll teach you two all about nail knots and stuff. If that's okay." Amy checked with Lori.

   "You won't catch me arguing." She said.

   "Hey, Dale. When's the last time you oiled those line reels? They are a disgrace." Amy asked as Dale walked over.

   "I, uh— I don't want to alarm anyone, but we may have a bit of a problem." Dale said pointing over at at hill where Jim was digging.