8 Count Down

I sat beside Carl on couch reading a book.

    "Mom?" Carl asked, I look up to see her waving her hand in the air. "Something wrong?"

   "Uh... nothing. It's just... the air conditioning stopped." She told us.

———

    "Why is the air off?" Lori asked sticking her head out into the hallway as Jenner walked by.

     "And the lights in our room?" Andrea asked stepping out of her room.

   "What's going on." Daryl asked as Carol, Sophia, I, Carl and Lori followed behind Jenner. "Why is everything turned off?"

    "Energy use is being prioritized." Jenner answered.

    "Air isn't a priority? And lights" Dale asked as everyone trailed behind Jenner as the hallway went dark.

    "It's not up to me. Zone 5 is shutting itself down." Jenner said.

"Hey! Hey, what the hell does that mean?" Daryl yelled as we followed Jenner back to the computer room. "Hey, Man, I'm talking to you. What's do you mean it's shutting itself down? How can a building do anything?"

    "You'd be surprised." Jenner said unfazed.

    "Rick?" Lori asked looking down at him.

    "Jenner, what's happening?" Rick asked him.

    "The system is dropping all the nonessential uses of power. It's designed to keep the computers running to the last possible second. That started as we approached the half-hour mark. Right on schedule." Jenner took a long pause. "It was the French."

    "What?" Andrea asked.

    "They were the last ones to hold out as far as I know. While our people were bolting out the doors and committing suicide in the hallways, they stayed in the labs till the end. They thought they were close to a solution." Jenner said.

    "What happened?" Jacqui asked him.

"The same thing that's happening here. No power grid. Ran out of juice. The world runs on fossil fuel I mean, how stupid is that?" Jenner said.

"Let me tell you—" Shane said angrily ready to punch.

"To hell with it, Shane. I don't even care." Rick held him back. "Lori, grab our things. Everybody, get your stuff. We're getting out of here NOW!"

Still holding the book I started heading for the exit with the others. Coming to a stop a loud alarm blared.

"What's that?" Shane asked.

"What's that?" Carl asked.

"30 minutes to decontamination." A timer appeared on the screen.

"Doc, what's going on here?" Daryl yelled.

"Everybody, y'all heard Rick. Get your stuff and let's go! GO NOW! GO!" Shane rushed. "Let's Go!"

"No." Rick said.

I looked up at the now blocked door.

"Did you just lock us in? HE JUST LOCKED US IN!" Glenn shouted.

"Carl." Lori called.

"MOM!" Carl yelled running to her.

"You Son of a bitch." Daryl yelled running towards Jenner.

"Shane!" Rick shouted to stop Daryl.

"You locked us in here!" Daryl yelled grabbing Jenner.

"No, stop. Don't!" Shane ran to him pulling him away from Jenner.