16 Randall

When Rick and Glenn came back with Hershel the next day they also brought a boy back, Randall.

—————

I sat beside Carl at the table.

     "We couldn't just leave him behind. He would have bled out. If he lived that long." Rick explained.

    "It's gotten bad in town." Glenn said.

    "What do we do with him?" Andrea asked.

     "I repaired his calf muscle as best I can, but he'll probably have nerve damage. Won't be on his feet for at least a week." Hershel said.

    "When he is, we give him a canteen, take him out to the main road, send him on his way." Rick told us.

    "Isn't that the same as leaving him for the Walkers?" Andrea wondered.

    "He'll have a fighting chance." Rick said.

     "Just gonna let him go? He knows where we are." Shane said.

    "He was blindfolded the whole way here. He's not a threat." Rick explained.

    "Not a threat. How many of them were there? You killed three of their men, you took one of them hostage, but they just ain't gonna come looking?" Shane asked.

    "They left him for dead. No one is looking." Rick told him.

    "We should still post a guard." T-Dog said.

    "He's out cold right now, will be for hours." Hershel said.

    "You know what? I'm gonna go get him some flowers and candy." Shane stormed out. "Look at this, folks— we back in fantasyland."

    "You know, we haven't even dealt with what you did at my barn yet." Hershel reminded Shane. "Let me make this perfectly clear once, and for all— this is my farm. Now I wanted you gone. Rick talked me out of it, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. So do us both a favour— keep your mouth shut."

    "We're not gonna do anything about it today. Let's just cool off." Rick suggested.

———————————————————

Yesterday Rick and Shane went to drop Randall off but came back with him.

——————

    "So what you gonna do? We'b all feel better if we knew the plan." Lori asked Rick as she handed Carl an me a plate. We all stood outside by the fire.

    "Is there a plan?" Andrea wondered.

    "We gonna keep him here?" Glenn asked.

    "We'll know soon enough." Shane said.
We turned as Daryl approached.

    "Boy there's got a gang, 30 men. They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends." Daryl explained. "They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women, they're gonna— they're gonna wish they were."

    "What did you do?" Carol asked.

    "I had a little chat." Was all Daryl said.

    "No one goes near this guy." Rick said.
I didn't hear the rest of what Rick said until the end. "We have to eliminate the threat. It's settled. I'll do it today."

————————

    "So he's a kid?" Carl asked Shane as we walked towards the shed.

    "He ain't a kid. Just— that's a figure of speech." Shane said.

    "Can we see him?" Carl wondered.

    "No." Shane quickly said. "Look, this is— this is grown-up stuff, all right? Just— just let us handle this."

Instead of walking away Carl and I walked around to the back of the shed.
Carefully we climbed in and sat on the rafters.

    "Hey." Randall whispered, "That's a sweet hat. I'm Randall. What's your names? The sheriff guy— that your Dad? I like him. Yeah, he's a good guy. I can tell. Your Mom out here too? You're— you're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine." Carl and I stayed silent. I know they say he's dangerous but he doesn't seem bad and he also wasn't lying, I felt bad for him, we kill his friends, save his life, drop him off then bring him back and then chain him inside a shed not knowing if we're gonna kill him. "Hey, I— I don't what people been saying about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear. Your Dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fighting with him." Carl and I got up quietly climbing down the ladder to stand in front of kid. "It got pretty bad. I— I was kinda worried. My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you both and your folks back to my people. We'll take good care of you. Keep you safe. Just gotta— just gotta help me get out of here, okay? Just help me pick these locks or find the key, okay? Come on, please? Please?"

I stepped back as the doors slid open and an angry Shane came in.

    "What the hell are you two doing in here?" Shane said quietly as he pushed us behind him before yelling at Randall. "What did you say to them? What did you say to them, huh?!" He pushed him by the neck against the wall and pulled out a gun.

    "I didn't say nothing." Randall claimed.

    "Hey hey." Andrea yelled trying to calm him down.

    "I will shoot you where you sit." Shane told him.

    "Okay Shane, not now. Shane."

    "You like talking, man? YOU LIKE TALKING?!"

     "BACK OFF!" Andrea yelled and finally Shane listened.
Shane then turned to Carl and me grabbing our arms and pulling us out. "Get your asses out this door. Let's go. The hell you doing." Shane released us.

    "Please don't tell my parents." Carl pleaded.

     "Carl, (Y/n), that ain't cool. You two could've gotten hurt in there." Shane said.

    "I can handle myself." Carl claimed.

    "He's chained down." I say.

     "Let me tell you two something— do not go near him again. Do you hear me? Damn it." Shane got close.

    "You won't tell my parents, will you?" Carl asked.

    "Carl, man, this—" Shane started to whisper, "This isn't about getting in trouble, okay? A guy like that, he will say anything to you. He'll try to make you feel sorry for him. He'll try to make you let your guard down. You let your guard down out here, people die. Now just— do me a favor, man— go find your Ma. (Y/n) you go with him. Go on. Carl, (Y/n), quit trying to get yourself's killed."