Chapter 7

(Blake)

The Belladonnas, Y/N, and Sun all sit around a wooden table at the dining room, one of the handful of rooms that haven't been burned down in the Belladonna's household. Kali was about to open a freshly made kettle only to wince a bit as Blake's loud and furious voice yells at her direction.

Blake: "You can't be serious, Mom!"

However, Kali remains composed as Blake continues, turning to her father.

Blake: "I can't believe that you would choose your own wife to be the captain of the guards and militia! How can you justify such blatant nepotism, Dad? This is the exact kind of corruption you spend the better part of your life fighting against." 

Ghira just calmly grab his teacup and sip on it, not paying much mind to Blake, and in fact ignoring her as he turns to Kali.

Ghira: "Kali, have you done something different with the tea today. It tastes sweeter."

Slamming her hands on the table, Blake shouts at him.

Blake: "Don't ignore me!" 

Sun, who is seated across from them, speaks up.

Sun: "Hm, the tea does taste sweeter. I kind of like it." 

Blake: "Come on, Sun! Back me up here! Y/N!?"

Sitting next to her, Y/N just look at her as he sips on his own teacup. He just shrugs and responds to her.

Y/N #3: "What? The tea tastes sweet. It's quite nice."

Kali: "Aww, thank you, Y/N. You want some more?"

Y/N #3: "Yes, please."

As Kali goes to pour more tea on Y/N's cup, Blake pinches her nose, taking a deep breath to calm herself down. Now more composed, Blake turns her attention to Ghira, who stare back at her.

Blake: "Dad, you should know how messed up the situation is."

Finally, Ghira replies to her, not before letting out a brief sigh.

Ghira: "This is the only move I can make. The person the Elder Council were heavily considering was a White Fang sympathizer and it would have hinder on the investigation. I needed to choose a candidate quickly and make my veto of the decision to be known. And who's more trustworthy than my beloved wife?"

Kali just gives a small wave before returning to her tea, drinking it casually as Blake responds.

Blake: "This is how deep-seeded corruption starts, Dad. With necessary actions."

Sun speaks up, hijacking the conversation by pointing out something.

Sun: "It's doubly weird that it's Blake's mom. Like, why choose her of all people?"

Y/N #3: "I've been meaning to ask that as well."

Their remarks make the three cat Faunus to look at them with a confused look. 

Y/N #3: "What?"

Sun blinks, shifting his head to Y/N and the Belladonnas. 

Sun: "Is... is there something we're missing here?"

Blake is the first to respond.

Blake: "My mom was once captain of the militia decades ago."

This surprises Y/N as Sun just sputters his tea, wiping his mouth as Kali waves off that statement.

Kali: "Blake, don't say it like that! It makes me sound like an old woman. Though, it was almost 20 years ago."

Sun: "Hold on a minute... she was the captain?"