Chapter 12

(Ruby)

Inside Haven's student dormitory, Ruby, Y/N, and Roman are now in front of one of the dorm rooms. 

Y/N #1: "This is the place?"

Roman: "It should be, according to the student registry."

The crime boss sink down to one knee and takes out a hairpin and a bobby pin, which makes Ruby give a brief sigh.

Ruby: "Of course you can lockpick."

Roman: "Of course I can! People keep putting things I want behind doors."

Y/N #1: "Heh, yeah. I wonder why, Roman."

Roman just roll his eyes at his remark and continues.

Roman: "And right now, I want whatever is behind this one."

As he works on his lockpicking on the door, Y/N draws out Crimson and Violet and aim them at the door. Ruby just looks at him with some level of confusion.

Ruby: "Why are you taking out your pistols?"

Y/N glances over to Ruby as he quickly replies.

Y/N #1: "Just in case of any 'surprises' that might happen. You should take out your weapon too."

With a nod, Ruby turns her attention to the door, taking out Crescent Rose in its sniper rifle form and aiming at it. Eventually, the door swings open as Roman swiftly flicks the light on for the room. They find the room completely empty with even the basic furnitures not being there. The trio blink and after a moment of pause and lowering their weapons, Roman says.

Roman: "Aaand it's empty. Well... didn't expect that."

Y/N #1: "What were you expecting?"

Roman: "Oh, I don't know. A table. A bed here and there. Maybe a drawer. But this happens more often than you think."

Ruby exhales at their discovery, hanging her head.

Ruby: "Another dead lead." 

Y/N goes to pat her on the back as Roman strolls out of the room.

Y/N #1: "Don't worry, Rubes. It's too soon to give up now."

Roman: "He's right, Red. This was just Plan A, and it honestly was a long shot."

Both Ruby and Y/N share a quick look of confusion before walking out of the room, following after Roman.

Ruby: "Well then, what's Plan B?"

_________________________________________________________________________

At a different Mistralian bar, Nora, Ren, and Jaune are in the middle of a card game with Qrow nearby. A confident-looking Nora raises a card dramatically before shouting.

Nora: "Empty Pursuit!"

As she shouts this, she slams the card on the table, all while smirking and crossing her arms proudly, still holding her other cards. Jaune groans and throws down his hand of cards in defeat.

Jaune: "No! All my hard work down the drain. I had a whole strategy and everything!"

Ren goes to pat Jaune on the back with a reassuring smile.

Ren: "Victory should never be built to, it should only be found in the flow of chance."

As he said this, he places down one of his cards before saying.

Ren: "Unexpected Fortune."

Upon seeing his trump card, Nora's eyes widen as she shouts.

Nora: "No! I was winning!"