Chapter 38

(Haven Academy)

As the evening sky looms over Mistral, silhouetting the twin mountain peaks, and the enormous Cho Chin, Haven Academy is left empty with the only people inside the school are Lionheart and Raven. Inside of the headmaster's office, Lionheart remains seated at his desk, patiently waiting as Raven's mask is resting on his desk. A moment later, Raven cuts open a portal and Vernal just walks out of it smoothly with a stumbling Emerald coming out of the portal behind her, addressing to Vernal.

Emerald: "Ugh, how are you this difficult to keep track of?"

Vernal glances at the green-haired girl and retorts sarcastically. 

Vernal: "What? I was just giving you a little exercise. Besides, no one asked you to be my handler."

Raven just stares at Vernal carefully as Emerald takes offense to that statement. Before Emerald can say anything back, Cinder opens the door to the headmaster office, walking inside with Mercury following behind. Seeing her, Emerald runs up to Cinder as Mercury asks.

Mercury: "What took you so long, Em?"

This just earns him a disapproving glare from Emerald. Meanwhile, Cinder looks to Raven, then to Leo.

Cinder: "It's about time we get started. No more delays."

Leo, Raven, and Vernal are quiet as Leo nods to her and leads them out the office's door. As they walk through the corridor, leading the school's grand hall, Mercury exhales.

Mercury: "Man, I'm going to miss being able to walk around the city freely. Not allowed to do it in Salem's castle."

Emerald: "Y-Yeah..."

She shivers to herself at the thought of returning and muttering.

Emerald: "That place always feels so... dead. Having Christina there doesn't exactly help make it better, and Salem is-"

In front of her, Cinder cuts her, glancing over to her.

Cinder: "Salem is 'what,' exactly?"

Emerald's eyes become small and beady in fear as she immediately curls in on herself.

Emerald: "I-It's nothing."

Cinder turns back to the front of their group, following Lionheart just as voices can be heard, emerging from the grand hall. The group slows down their pace only to stop in place. All eyes fall to Lionheart as it becomes clear the voices are coming from Qrow and his group. 

Raven: "It's Qrow and his tag-a-longs."

Lionheart: "N-No... they weren't supposed to be here..."

As Cinder and Raven nudge their group back into the corridor, Cinder turns to Lionheart.

Cinder: "Leo, go and take care of the problem now."

Leo begins to sweat, anxiety plastered over his face.

Lionheart: "M-Me? I-I don't know what to do."

Cinder just grabs him by his shoulder and presses further. 

Cinder: "You're the headmaster of an entire student body. Go and give them detention or something."

Gulping nervously, Lionheart approaches the main balcony at the far end of the grand hall.