Chapter 17

(Blake)

Back inside of her home (some of the areas are still burned down), Blake, dressed in her summer dress, sitting on her bed, looking at her old signature outfit she wore back when she attended Beacon. 

She looks at the outfit with some level of uneasiness, lifting it up over a half-filled suitcase to get a better look at it

She looks at the outfit with some level of uneasiness, lifting it up over a half-filled suitcase to get a better look at it. The doorway to her room has been scorched, missing a door as it's replaced with a room divider. After a moment later, Kali pops her head out of room divider, wrapping her fingers around it and knocks on it.

Kali: "Knock, knock."

Hearing her mother's voice, Blake turns her head to see her, speaking in a weak tone.

Blake: "Hello." 

Kali then enters Blake's room, adjusting the room divider properly.

Kali: "I don't have to be a cop to know that means something's wrong. Something on your mind?"

As Kali goes to sit on the bed next to Blake as Blake looks at the crumpled clothes and unrolls them, threading the materials through her fingers. After that, Blake lightly lifts her old outfit from her lap as Kali speaks up.

Kali: "So that's what you wear during your time at Beacon?"

Blake: "Yeah... I wore this the last time I saw... Adam. Both last times... and neither of them were exactly happy occasions. I don't feel like it'd be right for me wear it when I finally confront him." 

Her remark makes her mother visibly puzzled as she asks.

Kali: "Then why not wear the guard uniform? After all, your father is busy setting up coordination with Mistral. Having uniforms will be important."

This makes Blake hesitates to answer for a second, her voice becoming a bit raspy as she declares.

Blake: "Once we've dealt with Adam, I'm going to leave the militia and the Menagerie guards and go back to Vale. That's why I want to wear my huntress outfit again. To prove to myself that I can go back and confront my past."

Kali is quite surprised by this only to become wary of her daughter's declaration.

Kali: "You burned a lot of bridges when you left."

Blake is quick to reply.

Blake: "It doesn't matter... I left a lot of people I care about behind... just so I can come back home. How many of them got hurt because of that? How many of them got killed? There's no way to know what with Vale's CCT down. Aside from Y/N and Sun, Weiss is the only person I know got out of there and when the Schnees are involved, safe is a relative term."

As she said this, Blake clutches her old outfit, looking down at it as Kali place a hand on her shoulder.

Kali: "Sweetie, you feel guilty about all of this."