Chapter 35

(Haven Academy)

Inside of his own office, Lionheart sits at his desk as he looks at a small holographic screen, displaying the one-eyed Cinder, glaring furiously at the headmaster.

Lionheart: "I'm telling you, you can't come to the school right now. There are still decorators working on setting things up for this year's festival and if anything were to go wrong, all of our covers would be blown."

Cinder: "We don't have a choice, Leo! The White Fang had half of their operations discovered and capture by a surprise police raid. If we don't move in now, the White Fang attack is going to happen sooner rather than later. And if happen too early, any attempt to retrieve the relic quietly will be out the window."

Frowning at this, the Lion Faunus retorts back.

Lionheart: "You and your group can come and get the relic once the festival workers have left. I made sure all the students are off campus but, no sooner than that. I'll send you the earliest time when I know when that will be but, you should also advise the White Fang to hold off their attack as well if they want the minimal amount of resistance. We only got one shot to get this right."

After hearing this, Cinder groans and snarls back.

Cinder: "This would have all been easier if the Branwens would have just cooperated without a condition of their own."

Lionheart: "I did told you to be prepared for a difficult negotiation. Branwens rarely, if ever, back down."

Cinder: "Well, Raven and her Spring Maiden are on their way now. So, whatever time you plan to send us, you better be ready to open the damn Vault."

Lionheart: "I will be there. Don't you worry about that."

And with that, the headmaster ends the call, Cinder's face vanishing from sight. A moment later, Lionheart rest his face in his palms, contemplating the whole exchange he had with Cinder and the rest of her group he had previously before sighing to himself. 

_________________________________________________________________________________

(Ruby, Weiss, Yang, and Neo)

Back inside the Mistralian house, Ruby and crew all gathered in the living room, all seated around the table with papers and charts scattered on top of it, including the White Fang mask that Neo found. 

Qrow: "Lionheart has been lying to us."

Yang: "What makes you say that?"

Qrow: "I did some digging into the missions the missing huntsmen have been going and the huntsman, Lucero was right. Either they ended up being pointless or they ended in complete squad wipes. Worst of all, when I tried to track down who ordered the missions, almost every time the road led me back to Leo..."

Everyone in the room processes Qrow's words, especially Y/N as he tilts his head down, staring at the floor, listening and contemplating this. Regardless of that, Qrow resumes speaking. 

Qrow: "It wasn't even all that difficult to find. Like he didn't expect anyone to check."

This is when Ruby chimes in.

Ruby: "Or... that there'd be no one left to check."

Ren: "I agree, we can't rule out the possibility that several of the roadblocks to Mistral we encountered weren't caused by Lionheart's interference."

Jaune: "You mean like the train shutting down?"

Ren: "Precisely."

Nora then chimes in as well.