Chapter 37

(Haven Academy)

In the school's grand hall, Lionheart is seeing a number of workers off who have been busy decorating the school for the upcoming festival as he waves them goodbye.

Lionheart: "Thank you for all of your hard work. I'll make sure this year's festival will be an explosive occasion."

Once the workers fully left the room, Raven, who hide behind a nearby pillar, surprises Lionheart by chuckling.

Raven: "You sure know how to talk in double speak. No wonder Salem picked you up."

Lionheart's surprise at her presence quickly dies down as he tries to shush her to keep her voice down.

Lionheart: "This conversation is best not done in a public place."

As he said this, the Lion Faunus motions to his office. Raven gives him a shallow smile and follows him as he goes inside. As she walks through the office's door and Lionheart closing it, Raven speaks up as Lionheart goes to sit at his desk.

Raven: "I must admit, I didn't think you be the one to turn tail. Surely, Ironwood or Theodore will be the most likely ones to betray Ozpin."

This makes the Haven headmaster bitterly asks. 

Lionheart: "How could you even think that? Ironwood is a fanatic when it comes to safety and security. And we all know that Theodore doesn't exactly have much going on up in his head. Meanwhile, Ozpin puts me in charge of a city where half the people despise me and the other half prop me up like some sort of indicator for the new age. None of this reflecting upon 'who' I am and all of which to do with 'what' I am."

He emphasizes this by moving his lion tail up for Raven to see, threading it through his fingers as he continues further.

Lionheart: "With all that pressure and none of the respect that comes with it, is it any surprise that I'd be resentful about the whole ordeal. Especially when my life would always be on the line with Salem tracking me. Why keep running at that point? If anything, I'm more surprised that you would agree to work with Salem, considering how adamant you were about cutting deceptions out of your life."

The bandit woman is quick to respond.

Raven: "I'd rather have all this gone and away from me as soon as possible but, it seems that my past has caught up with me. Hm, who knew a moment of 'benevolence' upon the old Spring Maiden would end up threatening my entire lifestyle. No, by the end of this, I fully intend to be free from Salem 'and' Ozpin once and for all, no strings attached."

Leo: "What makes you think that will work? Salem doesn't just give up power. She'll come back to you again and again, asking for more until you either refuses or is completely used up. In fact, I think it's very possible once she's done here, they'll have no use for you and get rid of you to prevent any future complications."

This makes Raven narrow her eyes as she quickly asks.

Raven: "Why would you even say something like that? You still work for Salem, don't you?"

The lion Faunus just laugh coldly as he replies back.

Lionheart: "I might work for her but, I'm a coward, through and through. Maybe it's just my nostalgia as a headmaster but, I respect you and I want you to know what you've signed up for. You may come to regret your actions as much as... I have."

Raven place her hands on Lionheart's desk as she answers back.