Chapter 23

(Mistral)

Cinder, Mercury, and Emerald stand among the burning remains of a random bandit tribe where several bodies are scattered the place with a bandit before them, falling to the ground with a blade in his back. Cinder rolls her shoulder and neck before commenting.

Cinder: "This is already getting tiresome. The second bandit tribe we found and still no lead on the Branwen. Tch! That informant from the Spider Web was useless."

Mercury chimes in.

Mercury: "Hey, it's good practice though."

Cinder glances over to Mercury.

Cinder: "Let me remind you that we had more trouble with the huntsmen we've been fighting for the past few months. This barely broke a sweat. Hopefully, these Branwens live up to their reputation because so far, I'm not impressed."

As she said this, Cinder glares at the body in front of them and the other corpses nearby them. Emerald also cuts in.

Emerald: "Our first course of action is diplomacy, right? Like, we're not hoping to fight them, are we?"

Mercury just scoffs at her words.

Mercury: "How well does diplomacy goes with Cinder involved?"

Emerald: "Hey! Cinder is a wonderful negotiator. She negotiated with you, didn't she?"

Mercury replies back.

Mercury: "The two of you showed up outside of my home while I was basically dying from blood loss and my legs bruised and practically useless."

Cinder causally looks back at them with a smirk.

Cinder: "And we successfully negotiated your survival." 

Mercury looks at Cinder a bit puzzled before shrugging to Emerald, who looks smug and amused. After that, Cinder pulls out her scroll and sees a number of missed calls from Watts. She dials him and after a moment of waiting, Watts picks up the call.

Watts: "So, you finally answer back."

Cinder: "Shut up, this search for the Branwen tribe is taking too long."

Watts: "Oh, I thought this was your idea to use such blunt force methods to find them."

Cinder snarls back at him. 

Cinder: "We're not Atlesian with a group of drones at our fingertips. 

Watts swiftly responds back.

Watts: "Ah but, we do have information networks."

Cinder: "Good. You can spare me the lecture and cut to the chase."

Unbeknownst to Cinder, Watts is practically rolling his eyes as he goes to summarizes his explanation.

Watts: "In between my projects, I've had time to track down some sources and crossing that with camps you've already crossed off. Well, I think I've gotten a lead. In fact, I'm sure of it, I'm planning to go myself to ensure the deal goes well. I tell you where it is but, I wouldn't want to lecture you, now would I?"

Irritated, Cinder growls back at Watts.

Cinder: "You better give me the information, or I'll bring this up with Salem!"

Watts: "The coordinates are already on their way. You really need to learn how to take a joke, Cinder dear. I've been told that life without laughter is not much of a life at all. It'll take you three days to get there on foot, I'll meet you there."