Chapter 24

(Blake)

Aboard the enormous ship taking the Menagerie militia to Mistral, Ghira is at work in one of the ship's cabins, filling out form after form, writing note after note. Exhausted, Ghira grips his brow, shaking his head a bit before addressing to his wife.

Ghira: "Kali dear, can you get me some tea... Kali?"

Once he turns his head to his wife's direction, he finds her passed out at her own desk, sleeping over some of the paperwork she was doing. Ghira looks at her exasperated but warmly as he stands up from his chair and puts a blanket over her shoulders.

Ghira: "Sleep well."

After kissing her on the forehead, Ghira starts walking off the room. Out on deck, he leans over the railing to get some nighttime air, giving a wary sigh as he stares at the night sky.

Blake: "Dad?"

The father turns to find a curious Blake and Y/N, standing beside her. 

Ghira: "Hm, out on a date, I suppose?"

This makes Blake blush a bit.

Blake: "W-We're just having a stroll around the ship!"

Y/N #3: "And we decided to go together."

Blake: "Y-Yeah, exactly."

Chuckling at this, Ghira quickly replies back.

Ghira: "Sorry, sorry. Just wanted to tease you a little."

Y/N #3: "I thought that was Kali's thing."

Ghira: "Well, I wanted to try it out myself."

Blake sighs a little as she addresses to her father.

Blake: "So... what brings you here, Dad?"

Ghira: "Just taking a break. Your mother is back in my room and sleeping at the moment."

Y/N #3: "Must've been tiresome."

Ghira: "Uh-huh. I must admit, moving this many people across an ocean are more of a headache than I thought it'd be. I never did anything quite as grand as this, even during my time as leader of the White Fang."

Y/N #3: "I almost keep forgetting that used to be the White Fang's leader."

Ghira: "I don't blame you, considering how much has changed over the years. The White Fang, Menagerie, and all Faunus. Hm, last time this many Faunus forces moved as one was back during the Faunus uprising in Mantle."

Blake goes to lean against the railing with her father as she chimes.

Blake: "That's true. It's only about a week until we reach the mainland. Do you have everything set up with the Mistral council, Dad?"

Ghira: "I already have. I must ask, Blake... are you nervous?"

His daughter shifts her gaze to him, giving a small smile.

Blake: "I'm more excited than anything else."

This remark confuses Ghira more than it does to Y/N as he leans against the railing beside Blake. 

Ghira: "Huh... that's the first time I ever heard you say something like that."

Blake: "Well, it's the first time I had a clear conscience about doing something. I'm not lying, I'm not making excuses. There's a clear path forward for what I need to do and it's surprisingly... freeing."

Both Y/N and Ghira smiles at her as Y/N comments.

Y/N #3: "Your new outfit fits you well but, the confidence fits better."