Chapter 39

(Haven Academy)

In the right wing of the school building, Hazel, Nora, and Ren are all locked in deep combat in one of the many classrooms. Nora and Ren are mostly on the defensive as their attacks and gunshots just bounce off of him and no terrain can slow him down. At one point, Nora puts an entire classroom of desks between them and Hazel. However, Hazel just charges right through them, flinging them out of the way with wide swings of his hands as he goes. Wordlessly, Hazel moves to corner and gut punch Nora only for Ren to see this and quickly jump in the way and stand in front of Nora. This results in both of them being sent spiraling through walls and classrooms. Nora slams into the far wall and falling down on the floor, too exhausted to continue fighting.

Nora: "R-Ren..."

While Ren himself is absolutely out cold. Both of them are covered in a layer of debris. Hazel just huffs in their direction, turning around to walk back into the grand hall, muttering to himself.

Hazel: "No one ever chooses peace..."

Back inside the school's grand hall, Weiss is battling it out with Vernal, both visibly out of breath while trying to keep up with one another. Unlike their first duel, there's no hesitation between either of them as Vernal is far more feral in her movements, charging and slashing at Weiss, keeping her on her toes and preventing her to cast her glyphs, let alone summoning. Weiss attempts to ignite Vernal's powdered dust from her pouch like before but, Vernal spins away. However, knowing that she would probably predict that, Weiss outmaneuvers Vernal and actually uses the fire dust on her blade to lock with Vernal's blade. 

Vernal: "...!"

This causes the fire dust blade itself to explode, slamming Vernal into a trophy case and this gives Weiss enough time to summon a black glyph, which springs Vernal into the air and onto the underside of the balcony above. Vernal manages to position herself halfway up, almost cat-like in how she does it. The bandit girl actually stands on the balcony's underside for a brief second, locked in place. Vernal draws out a new blade and flings it at Weiss, forcing her to block the incoming attack and release her hold of her glyph. As Vernal fall off, she positions herself once more to land on her feet as she lunges forward and proceeds her continuous strikes at the dodging and parrying Weiss. 

Behind one of the grand hall's support pillars, Roman and Neo remain hidden in an illusion. 

Roman: ("Okay... what to do now...?")

The criminal duo is watching the combat that is happening so far, shifting their gazes between that and the double doors that Hazel previously blocked. Contemplating on what to do for a moment, the crime boss sighs deeply before turning to look at Neo.

Roman: "Running away now wouldn't be classy."

The mute girl just looks at him somewhat baffled over his remark, but the crime boss elaborates further.

Roman: "Look, if we don't help out, there won't be much of a city left to return to. Besides, we need Y/N's support for us. I mean, we can take on a gang of armed people but, do you think me and you can take on a swarm of Grimm?"

In response, Neo just shook her head side to side as she shifts her gaze to the enraged and red-eyed Y/N striking at Cinder as the Fall Maiden herself block his attack only for Ruby to rush around him to land a blow on Cinder's chest, which makes Cinder push them back with her maiden power. Roman can see the concern look on Neo's face as he rests his hand on the bowler hat she's still wearing.

Roman: "Exactly, Neo. That's why we are going to assist them. Otherwise, we have nowhere else to go here."

This statement is punctuated with loud gunfire, blades clashing to each other, and whirling engines outside.