Hike uphill

Dokyeom and I kept in touch after that day, we chatted when we got time, we even tried to fix a time to meet but couldn't because of his practice and my never ending meetings. My cheesy confession of "I'm free later, tomorrow or any day you want to go" had pretty much been destroyed real quick. 

One evening Mingyu texted me saying some of the members were going on a hike the next morning and  wanted me to join them if I was free. 

"Come along, that way you can meet Na Eun as well," he tried to convince me 

Na Eun was Seungcheol's girlfriend and Dokyeom's close friend. In fact as I had heard, she was close to seventeen all in all, since she had worked with them for a few initial years. 

"Mingyu I've been telling Dokyeom I am really busy, which I am- it is why we haven't been able to catch up, I can't just show up tomorrow on you calling me and one of you to go tell him that I met you but not him." I say worried about what misunderstandings might occur. 

"Whoever told you Dokyeom won't be coming is wrong, he's going to be there too. Why do you think I'm calling you?" Mingyu spoke as if saying the most obvious thing.

"He's coming?" I ask excitedly over the phone

"Yes, look at that excited voice of yours, traitor." he spoke with sarcastic annoyance in his voice and I chuckled.  "If by chance you guys talk, don't mention it to him. Let it be a surprise for him." he tells me and I mentally thank Mingyu for planning this up. 

"I won't say a word"

"Speaking of which, you and him have been 'catching up' a lot these days, over chats and calls. What's going on?" he enquired, concern evident in his voice. 

"What, I can't make another friend from Seventeen?" I ask teasing him, but I knew there was more to his question than just a causal ask. 

"Is it just friends though?" he asks, his voice asking for a sincere answer this time. 

"I'll tell you when there's something definite to tell you" I answer honestly. Dokyeom and I had just started getting to know each other, there wasn't much of a label to put over whatever we were. 

"Fine, totally fine. Just, don't hurt him; if you're not sure then let go of it early before it cuts too deep. I've known him for too long now to know that 'just something' will end up hurting him more than any of us can imagine. Don't play with him," he says in a serious tone, it was a warning of sorts maybe, but it was for his friend. If it was one of my closest friends, I'd probably do the same thing too. 

"I'm not playing around, nor do I intend to. I'm worried I am being too delusional about whatever is happening. I feel like everything is very clear, but at times it's just mixed signals." I tell him honestly and firmly. 

"He seems interested too. He hasn't been interested in anyone for a while like this so that's why I can tell you this- I don't think you're being too delusional " Mingyu tells me making me feel assured. 

"But Mingyu-ah, since when are you so mature and intellectual?" I tease him, he had always been really understanding, mature and intellectual when needed, but being his friend, teasing him was fun and he took it well, by teasing me back equally. 

"I grew out my hair so some maturity and intellect grew along with it, why don't you try growing more of your hair?" He teases me back and we laugh.

The next morning, I driven to the hike trail location that Mingyu had sent me. I walk a bit towards the very start of the trail and see Seungcheol, a woman who I'm guessing is NaEun, Wonwoo and Dokyeom waiting for me.

"Hana" Mingyu calls for me from behind and I wave at him.

"Well good morning, haven't seen you for a while" he says with a smile as we walk towards the others

"Right? I hope you didn't have to wait for too long." I say and he gives me a look with a raised eyebrow.

"Shut it, let's go" he says and we finally reach where the others are waiting.

I noticed Dokyeom was sitting down, pulling his knees close to his body; he was wearing a black sports jacket, a white t-shirt underneath and black shorts under- which had his thighs exposed- with a yellow cap on his head that he had pulled down on his face and kept his head in between his knees. Looked like he was sleepy and tired and was pulled out of his bed to be present here. He didn't notice me until Coups and Wonwoo said 'Hi' to me.

"Good morning" I wish them back and see NaEun

"Hello, I'm Choi Hana, nice to finally meet you." we share a firm handshake with sweet smiles. 

"Oh?" I hear Dokyeom's surprised voice from beside us. 

"Hey, I'm Jung NaEun, very nice to meet you, these boys are very fond of you, especially that banana leader over there" she said pointing towards Dokyeom's yellow cap. 

"Hya!" Dokyeom said in a whiney tone as if NaEun had just let me in on an inside joke that didn't work well for him but worked well with others because I saw Mingyu, Wonwoo and Scoups burst into laughter the moment she said banana leader.

She had this demeanour of a very mature person, she even talked that way, but she also had a sense of humour which was surprisingly amazing. I liked her. 

"What are you doing here?" Dokyeom asked surprised as he walked towards me. 

"She's here to write about fashion amongst the older generations" Wonwoo said from behind us in the most serious face ever. The hiking trail that we were on was a bit far from the city side and into the countryside, with more of the older generations coming here for morning walks. This way it was better for the members to not get spotted in the city crowd. 

"Oh for real?" Dokyeom asked, almost convinced about Wonwoo's answer, "Ah don't mess with me. Did Mingyu call you?" Dokyeom asked looking around for answers. 

"Can you continue your questions after we start hiking? We need to get going" Scoups spoke and everyone started walking without waiting for Dokyeom's answer.

"Don't interrupt me then" Dokyeom said with a small pout to himself and we joined the others as well.

After we started hiking , Seungcheol and NaEun walked ahead of us with Wonwoo and Mingyu behind us, all of the guys were so broad they almost looked like strong pillars. Dokyoem walked beside me, with my pace. 

"Mingyu called me yesterday and told me you guys were going on a hike today, so he asked me to join" I tell Dokyeom and he nods understanding. 

"I'm glad he did. We've been trying to meet for a while now, this is nice" He says with a smile and I nod.

"I agree. Do you like hiking? When I reached here you looked all tired and sleepy" I ask as we kept walking on the uphill.

"I do, I enjoy it. I was tired and sleepy because I slept late last night and Mingyu pulled me out of bed forcefully to come here today." he says and I chuckle.

"I'm glad he did." I say and he nods agreeing. "Anyways, what's with the banana leader thing?" I ask and he rolls his head back as if that's the last thing he wants to be asked.

"It's an inside joke. We went on this trip for a shoot and we were basically doing water sports. So we had to wear helmets and it was me, Chan-ah, Jeonghan hyung, Seungcheol Hyung and Seungkwan. So we were introducing ourselves as rangers, and Chan called me banana leader, so everytime I wear this cap or something yellow on my head they call me banana leader." he explains and I laugh imagining the entire scenario.

Hey guys, 

For everyone taking out time and reading this, thank you very much, I really appreciate it <3

Please comment and let me know your thoughts :)