The ride back home

Jun, Dino, Dokyeom and I got in one car since all of our houses were close by. We decided that I would get to drive for the first half and then Jun or Dokyeom would take over for the second half. In our comfortable clothes, we drove back, not blasting songs but rather in a peaceful and restful manner, Jun dozed off while Dino put on headphones and watched something on his phone.

"What are you doing today evening?" Dokyeom asked, taking out a box of strawberries that we had bought from the town we were staying in before leaving. He fed me one and ate one himself and kept a few in his hand and passed the rest back to Dino.

"I'm visiting my sister, we spend new years together every year, so I'll be having dinner there. What about you?" I ask my eyes on the road as I eat the strawberries.

Dokyeom feeds me another strawberry. "My parents, sister and her husband will be coming to my place today for dinner, my mom's bringing food for us." His words were filled with a sense of warmth and family, and I smiled.

"That sounds fun, have a good time" I said smiling as I glanced at him and continued driving.

"I will, I hope you do too. I miss my mom's handmade food, so I'm going to eat a lot today." he tells me, making us both chuckle. I felt what he meant, home cooked food from your family or friends was only appreciated when one couldn't eat it on a daily basis. I missed my mom's made food too, but she didn't travel between our hometown and the city as much so we couldn't meet as much.

"I haven't had my mom's hand made food for so long, I know what you mean. That sort of food is something you can't get anywhere" I say remembering everything my mom made for me before she moved to our hometown

"Why haven't you had your mom's home cooked meal?" he asks with a carefulness in his tone, I'm guessing he was thinking of various scenarios right now.

"My parents moved to our hometown a few years back, they like farming and go on hikes on nearby hills. They made sure Ji-ah and I were independent and then stopped working in the city. Occasionally they sell what they've grown in the town itself, they enjoy it there" I told him with a smile spreading across my face talking about them.

Dokyeom listened attentively as I shared the story of my parents' move to our hometown and their newfound love for farming. There was a gentle curiosity in his eyes, and I could tell he was genuinely interested in learning more about my family.

"That sounds wonderful," Dokyeom replied with a warm smile. "Your parents seem like they've found their true happiness in the countryside."

I nodded, feeling a deep sense of pride and contentment when talking about my parents. "Yes, they absolutely love it there. They've always been nature enthusiasts"

The car ride continued, the scenery outside gradually changing as we drove closer to our respective homes. Jun was still peacefully sleeping in the back, and Dokyeom and I enjoyed our conversation and got to know more about each other.

We reached the rest area and Dokyeom, Jun and I got down from the car and the two of them went to the convenience store while I went to the washroom. After coming back from the washroom, Dokyeom handed me a triangular kimbap. Jun and Dokyeom looked at me with a mischievous glint in their eyes and I asked them curious to know.

"Dino isn't getting out of the car. Let's tell him that the store owner is a Carat and wants autographs. Dokyeom and I already gave ours, and he needs to give his." Jun explained and I widened my eyes and chuckled.

"He'll walk in and give an autograph instead of paying." Dokyeom continued and I stood there surprised.

"What if the store owner is an actual Carat tho?" I asked looking at them with squinted eyes.