Misguided frustration

The evening passed pleasantly, and as Dokyeom prepared to leave, he bid my family farewell with genuine warmth. "If there's anything I can do to help or if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. Take care, Mr. Choi, Mrs. Kim."

My mom suggested that Dokyeom drop me off at home and soon I left for home with him.

"Thank you" I said as we got in the car and he looked at me with raised eyebrows.

"Why?"

"You know why," I said with a sad smile on my face. "He smiled like this after so long, because of you.

"Your family is important to me, honey." he said, placing a hand on my cheek and giving me a small smile which I returned as he started driving back.

"Do you want some good tasty street food? It'll lift your mood" he asked and I shook my head. The drive back was silent and Dokyeom didn't push me much to answer his questions.

As he parked in the parking lot I gave him a questioning look since he always stopped the car in front of the lobby.

"I'm coming with you" he told me getting out of the car.

"No, it's okay. I'm fine." I said backing away and taking a step behind. 

"It's not about that. I just want to stay with you, we haven't met for days" he explained and I shook my head in denial. 

"Dokyeom, really I'm fine, I don't need anyone right now. I'm perfectly fine"

"I'm not anyone" he spoke furrowing his eyebrows, he looked hurt and I realised it was a terrible thing to say to him right now. 

"You know what I meant" I said, running a hand through my hair.

Dokyeom's insistence surprised me, and I could sense the underlying tension as the conversation shifted. I didn't want this to escalate it into an argument, but the concern in his eyes fueled a bit of frustration.

"Dokyeom, I appreciate your concern, but I don't need this sympathy right now," I said, my tone trying to convey a sense of firmness without causing further tension.

He sighed, frustration mirrored in his expression. "Hana, we haven't spent much time together lately. I just want to be there with you. Is that too much to ask?"

"It's not about you, Dokyeom. I am completely fine, I'm perfectly fine." I replied, hoping he would understand. I was getting tired of telling him I was fine. 

His eyebrows furrowed, and I could see the conflict in his eyes. "No you're not and it's okay. I just want to be there."

"I appreciate it, but I understand when I say that I'm fine." I said leaving the conversation and walking towards the lobby with him following behind. "And stop treating me like I'm going weak in this situation, I can handle this. It's not the first time one of them is sick" I spoke in a frustrated tone looking at him.

"Don't shut me out Hannie, please" he said, even through his frustration he spoke softly. Why wasn't he mad at me shouting at him? Why was he walking on eggshells around me? 

"I'm perfectly fine" I said, shaking my head in a tired manner and left Dokyeom in the lobby with a frustrated look on both his and my face.

I knew I had messed up. The atmosphere between us had soured, and I couldn't shake off the guilt as I walked into the elevator. I knew Dokyeom's intentions were genuine, but my own emotions were complicated, tangled with the stress of my father's illness.

As I entered the elevator, I sighed, regret lingering in the heaviness of the air. The door closed, leaving me alone with my thoughts and the weight of the situation. I wished I could find a way to make him understand without pushing him away.