Intentions and sacrifices

The next few days went in the same amount of chaos if not more. As close as we were, Dokyeom and I had never spent so much time under a roof not doing anything other than discussing the same topic over and over again- and in a tense environment. Usually we'd go out for a walk, or in some undiscovered cafe. The jolly of this relationship was wearing away because of the constant tension because of the scandal.

About four days into the scandal I got a call from my company. I was being disciplined. In the best words I was being suspended, but it was being put in polite words out of respect for the post I held in my job. I wasn't allowed to work for god knows how long, maybe until the scandal settled? Maybe until they found a replacement, it wasn't as if the magazine lacked talented people.

"Sir I need you to understand this isn't fair, yes I was seen with them but I don't see why you need to put me on unspecified suspension. I have several projects coming up, I have articles and magazines to edit, please understand." I pleaded in the phone pacing around my bedroom running my hand through my hair. I was frustrated.

On the other end of the line, the voice on the phone remained stern and unyielding. "Hana, you need to understand the gravity of the situation. Our reputation is at stake, and until things settle down, we need to maintain a certain image. It's not a punishment; it's a precautionary measure."

"But I didn't do anything wrong! It's guilt by association," I argued, frustration evident in my voice.

"Hana, your association with Dokyeom and Mingyu is drawing unwanted attention. We need to distance ourselves until the situation calms down. This isn't a permanent decision, but for the time being, we need to be cautious."

I sighed, feeling the weight of the situation crushing down on me. "So, what am I supposed to do during this 'unspecified suspension'? Sit at home and watch my career crumble?"

"There are always ways to navigate these situations. Use this time to lay low, avoid unnecessary attention, and let the storm pass. We value your contributions, but we also need to protect the magazine," came the cold response.

After the call ended, I slumped onto the bed, feeling defeated. I couldn't help but think about how this scandal had infiltrated every aspect of my existence, leaving me suspended in uncertainty.

"Nothing?" Dokyeom asked as he watched me inside the bedroom and I shook my head in disappointment and plopped down on the bed as Dokyeom walked in.

"You know what? I was so stupid to tell you that you have to know two different lives." I said in a frustrated tone getting up from the bed and watching Dokyeom. "There is absolutely no line in between, fucking annoying. It feels as if everything is sand that's slipping out of my grip from my hand."

"I'm sorry, this is my fault" Dokyeom spoke in a dejected voice and my anger only increased rather than settling.

"How is this your fault? Me losing my job is not your fault, people not understanding something as love exists outside of dramas and books is not your fault" I addressed annoyed tossing my phone on the bed and holding my head in my hands.

"It's my fault because we knew what we were getting into, I knew! And still I went ahead with it, my job doesn't allow me luxuries like love Hana." He argued back and I scoffed.

"Now you're regretting loving me too? Love isn't a luxury, it's a need, it's like air. You're like air for me, why are you speaking as if you wish you would have never dated me." I retaliated, this time in a higher tone, rage pouring out through my eyes in the form of tears. If only I could get through an argument without tearing up.

"Hana, it is because I love you that I'm saying all this! I hate to see you in this scandal because of me. I'm telling you now Hana, I won't be able to say this ever again, but this is the perfect chance for you to let go of me, live a better life with someone else. " He shot back, this time he became teary too. It hurt me physically to see us like this.