Mutual appreciation

Coming back home, I was left with a question. One that Dokyeom and I hadn't talked much about. Or at all, if given the thought. A few days after our camping outing, Dokyeom and I were sitting in his music room. A room that had his guitars, sogo drum, clap box, and a keyboard; one that he was trying to teach YuJin. Though I was convinced that YuJin had more interest in spending time with Dokyeom than actually learning the keyboard.

With wine glasses in our hands, Dokyeom sat on his beanbag chair with his acoustic guitar, Woody, as he played a few random chords and I tried to match them on the keyboard. Staying with him, I had added a few keyboard skills to myself, I was terrible at it, but a few basics worked sometimes.

Somewhere along the random chords that we played, Dokyeom started singing, singing his own creation as we kept playing. Before a new line, he'd tell me which chord to play and go on.

The way he was improvising on the spot impressed me way more than I had imagined.

"Did you just write this now?" I asked as he played the ending chords and he nodded with a sweet smile.

"Do you like it?" He asked and went back to playing soft chords on the strings.

"It was beautiful." I answered and turned back to playing the keyboard.

"Min-ah," I started as I kept playing the chords and Dokyeom hummed. Calling him Seokmin, Min-ah, Minnie was my newest habit these days.

"Why don't you release an album, or a mixtape." I asked and realised we really hadn't talked about this topic at all before.

"The company needs to bring it up with a sample, or you at least need to have a well made song ready. If they approve it then they go ahead with it." he informed me

"Well you have so many songs, why not take one of those?" I asked and he shook his head uninterested.

"I don't. Songs that I make out of boredom aren't production worthy, much less release worthy. I'm not good at writing songs. Songs that I make with you here are special to us, I've never thought of releasing them. Not that I don't like them, they're too personal." He explained and somewhere I understood his thoughts, but still a part of me refused to agree.

"I have a good amount of your impromptu songs on my phone which are pretty impressive, you're good at writing, those songs are deep and emotionally soothing to listen to, some even a bit of rock vibe, don't put yourself down like that. You could use one of those recordings and write the rest of the song with that part." I suggested and he leaned back looking at the ceiling.

"I don't know, I've released covers, they're well received, I don't know if my own song would be that well received, and I don't really want to use a complete sample and just give my voice to it you know? I want it to be written with my emotions. I want to write something that I'm satisfied with first."

"Is that why you find OSTs and covers easier to sing? I think you'll write a great album one day that you'll be satisfied with." I told him and he tilted his head to look at me and smile. Dokyeom's gaze softened as he listened to my words.

"You think so?" he asked, a hint of vulnerability in his voice.

I nodded, walking towards his bean bag. "Absolutely. Your emotions, your experiences—they're unique to you. And I believe that when you're ready, you'll create something extraordinary. You may not have the confidence right now, but you do write very well" I answered as I walked towards him.

"I sometimes think, maybe just singing is what I have, writing? I don't know how I feel about it yet. Might need to take a few lessons from JiHoon hyung" he answered with his voice lost in his own thoughts.