Chapter 2 - Peculiar Illness

Wriothesley's POV

 "Well, well. Nice to see you, Sigewinne."

 "Haha... D-duke Wriothesley... Nice to see you indeed."

 Her eyes were shooting back and forth as she spoke as if she was looking for any means of escape.

 Tough she didn't seem to have much of a chance. For the first time since I entered the house, Neuvillette seemed rather adamant about remaining firm.

 "Sigewinne, why is it that Duke Wriothesley came all the way to my house looking for you." He asked.

 "I have no idea! I took a few days off!" She tried to defend herself.

 Neuvillette now turned to me for an explanation.

 "She took two days off to be precise." I pointed out and he instantly understood.

 "You've been here for three days, Sigewinne, and it doesn't look like you will be returning anytime soon. When I said you could come here, I definitely remember mentioning that you do not work under my jurisdiction and therefore should handle the matters involving your absence."

 "I know. I'm sorry."

 While Neuvillette had spoken in a rather normal, hell, for him even gentle tone, Sigewinne looked as if someone had just scolded her half to death.

 As a small sad pout surfaced on her face, Neuvillette turned to me.

 "My apologies if Sigewinne's absence had you worried, Your Grace. She and the other melusines in my home have contracted a rather peculiar illness and though it might be an inconvenience, I cannot allow them to return to work just yet."

 As he spoke he reached to pet Sigewinne on her head and instantly her complexion cleared up.

 "Illness? May I ask what kind of illness?"

 I wasn't really expecting an answer. The matters regarding melusines are still mostly just mysteries to Fontaine.

 "It's something all melusines must go through once in their life. Symptoms include things such as sudden high fever, uncharacteristic behavior, lack of appetite, and rather unhealthy sleep cycles. It lasts for about a week and they require constant monitoring during this time."

I nodded along to his explanation still a bit shocked at how easily I got an answer.

"Uncharacteristic behavior isn't exactly an accurate description." I suddenly heard Sigewinne mutter under her breath.

"Did you say something, Sigewinne?"

"No, nothing Monsieur Neuvilette. I was just muttering about how the medicine you give us is too bitter." She quickly waved it off and to my surprise Neuvillette just let it be.

If I could hear it then surely he could as well.

But, oh well, it wasn't my place to get involved.

"So there is nothing we can do about this?" I asked to be sure.

"Nothing much aside from giving them some supplements and keeping an eye on them. Rest assured Your Grace, you'll have Sigewinne back in a few days as good as new."

 Just as I was about to answer, a melusine ran up the stairs.

 "Monsieur Neuvillette! Iara fell asleep in the bathtub again!"

 Sigewinne burst out laughing while Neuvillette just sighed.

 "Please excuse me for a moment, Your Grace."