Chapter 50 - A Most Unpleasant Conversation

To celebrate the story reaching 50k reads (52k now, but it was 50k 11 hours ago when I started writing) I present you with a...

 Drumroll please...

 Mass Release!

 Five chapters at one!

 But seriously, thank you for all the love you've been showing this story! I've been having the time of my life reading your comments.

 ...

 Sigh...

 Even those with the 🦶

 I think...

 Maybe...

 At this point, I'm not sure if I'm amused or disturbed.

 ~

~

Wriothesely's POV

 While I wanted to get back a Neuvillette for the two days of silence, I knew better than to do it now.

 Especially when Neuvillette just straight-up told me to control myself.

 "Your Grace, this conversation will not be all fun and games. Please, whatever you hold against me right now, hold it in just a bit longer."

 As such, we all quite peacefully ended up in a room inside the Opera Eclipse.

 Well, this is a place I haven't been to in a while.

 Sure, I have been to a trial here and there, but I'm pretty sure I haven't been here for at least a year.

 "Well, if it isn't Duke Wriothesely himself. You're a difficult man to meet, Your Grace."

 "And you're a difficult person to deal with, Miss Arlecchino." I retorted.

 We both flashed each other a polite smile as we sat down.

 Even as we sat around the round table, I couldn't understand the reason for the request Neuvillette had made a few minutes ago.

 "Your Grace, would you mind taking a seat between Lady Furina and the Knave?"

 For a split second, I had hoped that he had made the request to sit across from me but...

 With the way he was looking at the harbinger, he obviously had me sit here so that Lady Furina wouldn't have to.

 It was very subtle really.

 I strongly doubt the harbinger would have noticed even if she were to just stare straight at him, but a subtle hint of warning was flashing in the dragon's eyes as if to say:

 Do something I don't like and you'll drop dead in an instant.

 "Why is it that you've made such a sudden request for tea, Miss Arlecchino?" Neuvillette asked.

 He was now fully back in his role as Iudex.

 No...

 To be honest...

 There was a slight hint of dragon seeping through his tone.

 A warning.

 One that was hard to catch.

 I was about to cast a questioning look at Lady Furina in hopes of getting an explanation for the usually neutral dragon's could mood, but-

 She's acting weird as well.